• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Early style Grill vs later style.

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Well I figured out why they changed from the 4 bar grill that I love to the later grill on the later series cars.

The hood hinges on the later cars will not allow the early series grill to fit.

But looking at it I think I may be able to modify the later hinges so that the early grill fits. I like the later style hinges because the hood opens up so much further and allows more access to the engine.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
They do? I have a Series II grill on a Series V car and hadn't noticed.

Well, took a quick look and I see what you are talking about. One side clears by about 1/8", the other hits the grill, but not enough to place it in a noticeable bend. Certainly not enough that I'm going to take things apart to trim the hinge. Looks it will vary from car to, depending on hood fitment. I do not see any reason you cannot trim up the hinge for clearance.

Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Rob,

You also have the choice of the 'egg crate' style grill which one of the forum members fabricated I believe (If you like them, that is).

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I really like the look of the early grill so I am working on figuring out how to make it work with the later series hinges.

britbeam

Donation Time
I really like the look of the early grill so I am working on figuring out how to make it work with the later series hinges.

Rob I have later series hinges on my series 2 which originally only opened enogh for the cat to crawl under. I think I modified the grill slightly just to clear and its not noticible.I moved my prop rod from the scuttle to the right side works well.
Dwain V6 Krazy

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dwain,
I know what you mean about the cat. I really like the way my hood opens when I put the later hinges on. I have move the prop to the right side also. My grill is pretty hammered so I am sending it out to the chrome dudes along with about 20 other parts. But before I do, I am going to make sure it fits.

65beam

Donation Time
early grill

remember that somewhere during the series 2 production,the hinges were changed and the hood prop rod was moved to the right side and still used the same grill. series 3 cars also used the same grill as the series 1 & 2 .are the hinges on these later series 2 and series 3 cars the same as on the series 4 ?

britbeam

Donation Time
remember that somewhere during the series 2 production,the hinges were changed and the hood prop rod was moved to the right side and still used the same grill. series 3 cars also used the same grill as the series 1 & 2 .are the hinges on these later series 2 and series 3 cars the same as on the series 4 ?

Im not sure about that but I just checked my Series 2 and I had to notch the grill so that the series 4 hinge would clear when in the down position. Its not noticeable from the outside of the car and you would really have to be looking for it inside the engine compartment if you wanted to find it.I sure do like the fact I no longer bang my head on the hood(bonnet).
Modify if it makes things better
Dwain V6 Krazy

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
My grill is pretty badly bent and in need of serious chrome work. I am sending it out this week along with numerous other parts for chrome work. The company I use did my first car grill and it was worse than this one. Turned out great.

I spent the evening tonight taking it all apart so I could weld the mounting pieces before sending it off for chrome.

I did some minor modifications to the hood hinges and when I get the grill back all straight and pretty then I will final fit it and make adjustments to the hinges.