• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Early Series Shock Conversion - totally awesome!

gbinckes

Silver Level Sponsor
Hey all, finally got around to converting my rear end from the lever action dampeners to shock absorbers using Doug's (bulldurham) kit, and man what a difference it makes!! I wish I would have done this years ago, makes the Alpine so much more driveable! Unfortunately, too driveable, as I ended up going out a little longer than usual and started to overheat, looks like I blew a head gasket in the V-6. But totally worth it! Here's a quick video of a recent trip down PCH:

BTW, anyone replace a head gasket on the V-6 with the engine in the car? How hard was it?

Thanks!

Garet

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
It is fairly easy but time consuming. Lots of little things that add up. Better than pulling an engine and tranny:)

Drain all fluids, disconnect hoses, remove header bolts and the intake manifold as a start.

As an added note: Have you modified your heads for the Cooling option Sven Pruitt recommended? If not, I highly recommend pulling both heads and doing that simple mod!!

And while down, suggest you do the emission port mod I recommend that ensures no exhaust leakage on your header flange:)

gbinckes

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks Dan for the recommendations. The V-6 I have in now was a cheapy I bought just to get one in the car while I saved up to build a performance version, so no mods have been made. Unfortunately saving for a performance engine has not been a financial priority in my house :) I am going to at least drill some cooling holes while I have the headers off, and I may install my Offy intake and upgrade to the Holley 4 barrel. Hopefully i can get the car running again soon as I love driving this thing. Thanks!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Garet, An easy also while you are doing the water passages is to plug the emission port holes then drill and tap to 10mm 1.5 threads to about 3/4" depth. Then slot your headers for teh front and rear positions of both heads. It will secure the flanges to the head and elimenate future exhaust leaks.

I designed this method in my straight back headers and later discovered that it could be done to the jose style headers also.

I did Allan Ballards jose headers (Pictured below) for him and they work nicely:)

Your kit probably came with 3/8" bolts not the 10mm 1.5 metric like the engine heads were designed to use.

I also have the "correct" metric header bolts available if you need to replace the 3/8" (See the 2nd PIC Down Under has a good view of the 10 mm metric 12 point head where I fasten my straight back headers in the modified emission port holes).

They are 12pt heads and a 10mm boxed end wrench works well,

Attachments

• Head and Header Flange Modification to elimenate exhaust leakage by DanR20170125_101616 (6).jpg
    Head and Header Flange Modification to elimenate exhaust leakage by DanR20170125_101616 (6).jpg
    563.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Header bolts from downunder    20180308_124057.jpg
    Header bolts from downunder 20180308_124057.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 61

Ratical

Donation Time
I just installed my shocks this week as well. I also replaced spring bushings and installed liners between the leaves. Very impressed. Is more firm, but what I expected. I installed grey kyb's.

gbinckes

Silver Level Sponsor
Doug - I got a pair of "Gabriel 69622 Ultra Passenger Car Shock for select Chevrolet Corvette models" from Amazon for $40, the ride is fantastic!

Dan - I will think about doing the header flange mod if I have time, depends on how long it takes me to replace the head gasket/drill cooling holes/fill in the smog holes. I am also contemplating an upgrade to my pre-smog headers, adding the Offy intake and 4 barrell carb, but not sure if I want to do that on this crap engine or wait until I can do a full performance build (Jose grind cam, etc.) Weighing the time commitment of an awesome engine vs. just getting it back on the road to enjoy cruising . . .

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
That part# corresponds to 63-82 Corvette rear shocks. For other brand choices for the early conversion kit BullDurham offers.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
That is the part # I ordered for my car. Then it was called the Gabriel SVT, Gas A-Just. It is a good shock for street ride and ,I think, rides even better w/ a passenger. I never explored beyond that as I was so pleased w/ the ride.
A couple of others have recently asked about kit availability; I am willing to consider another run of 10 sets if enough people are interested.
I say 10 because that is where the fabrication costs breaks and makes them more affordable. Since it has been about 3-4 years since making them I would need to look at the numbers again to get a firm cost to members.

Glenn

Donation Time
That is the part # I ordered for my car. Then it was called the Gabriel SVT, Gas A-Just. It is a good shock for street ride and ,I think, rides even better w/ a passenger. I never explored beyond that as I was so pleased w/ the ride.
A couple of others have recently asked about kit availability; I am willing to consider another run of 10 sets if enough people are interested.
I say 10 because that is where the fabrication costs breaks and makes them more affordable. Since it has been about 3-4 years since making them I would need to look at the numbers again to get a firm cost to members.

I am interested in the kit. Do you have extras or are you waiting for more interest? I have a 62 Series II..