• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Early Series dash pad finishers

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Still wondering the original colour of the early small dash pad finishers (SI & II). I´m talking about the small metal pieces between dash pad and doors. Were they matt black ? Furthermore the assy together with the moulded rubber would be of interest. Does anybody have proper pictures ?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Still wondering the original colour of the early small dash pad finishers (SI & II). I´m talking about the small metal pieces between dash pad and doors. Were they matt black ? Furthermore the assy together with the moulded rubber would be of interest. Does anybody have proper pictures ?

Is this the part that goes between the dash and the base of the chrome window guide on the door?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I believe they were semi-flat black. There was an aftermarket guy making them in chrome as well. I noted this in the license plate thread... the website is still available via the Wayback Machine...

Archived website: http://web.archive.org/web/200412071...m/sunbeam.html

sdmp6.gif
sdm7.jpg

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
I have a pair of originals from my Series II, but one was broken in half. Dwain Cooke took the originals and carved a set from walnut (I think) stained them to match the wooden stearing wheel and gear shift knob. They look great, but sadly enough, they are not factory original.:)

alpine_64

Donation Time
The originals are bakerlite and break easily, if not in 1/2 then the mounting posts. They would be a prime candidiate to do in glasfibre i think, and perhaps you could have them moulded with metal fixings to stop them breaking off. They actually help the doors seal against the underside of the screen where SII's often leak water as it comes in over the edge of the door.

I think the original question though may have related to the SI/II part that goes at the end of the dash pad and seals against the leading edge of the base of the window guide.. i unfortunatly dont have a photo.. but someone with a parts book might have a picture

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Good info on the bakelite parts. Didn´t know they are available as repros. Appreciate as very valuable input. Has anybody tried them ?

However Alpine_64 is correct the original question goes towards the small metal pieces that are screw into the end of the dashpad. Actually they are bedded into a kind of rubber compound which has deteriorated on most cars over time...

alpine_64

Donation Time
However Alpine_64 is correct the original question goes towards the small metal pieces that are screw into the end of the dashpad. Actually they are bedded into a kind of rubber compound which has deteriorated on most cars over time...

I did a little research on the dash pad finshers for the SI/II.

There were 3 types.. 1 used on SI's and only for maybe 600 cars or so.. looks to be metal with maybe a rubber to the outside. part # 154

Then there is 2 used on Si/II parts # 155 and 156. They are moulded rubber (with probably a metal insert.. the part 156 is the same as 155 but with a rubber extension removed for easier mouting by the looks.

I have taken som epics of these parts.. but cant upload at themoment.. nobody i know repros these parts..

as for the metal hockey sticks, that guy went out of production maybe 2005.. i tried to buy one of the last sets but lost contact.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Bad to hear that hockey stick guy is out of biz. Would have loved to order a set (or 2).
Anyhow thanks for your investigation. The small metal parts look like a kind of mushroom with the stem oriented to one of the side. I just found a half rotten pair and they were burried in fragments of rubber. Would love to see your pictures or if anybody else could help. This was -and actually still is- one of my major open topics for both my series I and my ongoing HLM restoration...

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
dash pad finishers

I took a pair of the # 154 of my series II a few years ago. One is almost broken in two from rot. Could never figure out exactly how they went back on the car so now I know. Were they encased in a rubber compound and attached w/ screws or glue??

alpine_64

Donation Time
The part 154 was listed only for the first few hundred SI's.. so perhaps was put on there from another car.. the later rubber parts seem to attach via a screw, i assume the revised rubber was to assist with mounting as the landing on the earlier part is nibbed for the screw.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
No.154 describes the metal part (described as mushroom earlier). Just took 2 of them off a very original late SII . So something must be wrong with the parts book listing. They were embedded in fragments of rubber so hard to see what the original rubber shape was. Plus still the original question remains : Which colour were the metal pieces painted ? Matt black ? I´m thinking to get my repros powder coated but would like to keep the original looks as closely as possible...