• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Duraspark journey

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
I'm about to start the Duraspark journey for the 2.8. I took the engine off the stand this week and set the car for the final fit check and mock up of all the related parts before it gets blown apart for the last time ahead of paint. I decided I needed a motivator, so want to start it and hear it roar while it's there. Thus the Duraspark is the next dragon to slay. I have all recommended parts on hand listed by ranger station as well as more than a few hours of scouring this forum. I will start working though the list of things to do this coming week. If I can just get the *~"& distributor to seat correctly...

Am anxious to hear this thing run. Jose's kit, 9-1 compression, cam, 2.9l valves, ported, offy and 390 holly.

Any advice from those who have gone before with the Duraspark?

Btw, without this forum as a motivator and place to solve problems, this car would not have survived....so thank you to all those who I have sucked information from.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 61

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Pete

The distributor/ignition/module etc. part of this conversion is no more daunting or mystifying than any other task. I have two V6 conversions up and running. One uses a '74 distributor with standard coil/points/condenser. It works just fine. The other uses a GM HEI module to fire the electronic ignition with a '77 distributor. There is really no mystery to either one.

Once your ignition is installed and you hear the engine funning for the first time be prepared for additonal "installation anxiety" as you become anxious to have everything installed and running in your car. I guarantee you will like it!

Pete (Paul A on this forum)

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
Duraspark

Paul.
A couple questions about your HEI ing. module.
Where did you mount the module, and what coil are you using?
Thanks.

gordonra

Donation Time
This morning I finalized the upgrade to the MSD 6AL Digital ignition module from the stock F100 Duraspark module. The 6AL has a rev limiter where the 6A does not. I have an electronic distributor, but it's designed to work by a trigger from points as well.

I gotta say that the triple spark it gives under 3000 RPM sure made a difference in how the motor idles and runs, and since a huge amount of time is spent below 3000, it stands to reason that there would be a benefit from the multispark in the fuel economy as well.

Previous to this I had strong exhaust fumes while at idle. While it seemed to run ok, it's apparent to me now that it was just not using the fuel as effectively with the stock module.

After running about 60 miles through town and on the freeway, I firmly believe that this the way to go rather than a stock module if you can spare the $240. Of course you could go a little further to the MSD 6AL-2 and get some programmability if you want more control.

Rich

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Paul.
Thanks.

The module I have in hand is the standard Duraspark module. I haven't mounted it yet but plan to look for a spot inside the cabin somewhere behind or rt of the glove box area to keep it out of the heat. I already have the connectors for it and the distributor to slice the two. I will consider the MSD option suggested if I have problems, or will see that as a future upgrade. My priorities for this car started with and remain: 1. Safe. 2. Reliable. 3. After that come proud to have built the car, fun, and performance; in that order.

The coil is one I picked up from napa. I can provide a p/n tomorrow if needed. I tend to stick to the higher quality of their part structure or one with the better warranty if applicable. For coil placement, I plan to remove the stock coil mount from the brace just cause I don't like it. I plan to mount the coil on the right side of the firewall or build a mount somewhere on the rt inner fender. Every dollar spent now, is that much less I have in my paint account. And how quickly the dollars flow....

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Pete,

I used to put the module and coil inside the passenger compartment, behind the false floor there. Ifyou don´t want to put it there, you can mount them both under the dash, onto the sheet metal box that runs across the car. It will get them away from the engine compartment heat, which can degrade electronic devices.

Jose

The module I have in hand is the standard Duraspark module. I haven't mounted it yet but plan to look for a spot inside the cabin somewhere behind or rt of the glove box area to keep it out of the heat. I already have the connectors for it and the distributor to slice the two. I will consider the MSD option suggested if I have problems, or will see that as a future upgrade. My priorities for this car started with and remain: 1. Safe. 2. Reliable. 3. After that come proud to have built the car, fun, and performance; in that order.

The coil is one I picked up from napa. I can provide a p/n tomorrow if needed. I tend to stick to the higher quality of their part structure or one with the better warranty if applicable. For coil placement, I plan to remove the stock coil mount from the brace just cause I don't like it. I plan to mount the coil on the right side of the firewall or build a mount somewhere on the rt inner fender. Every dollar spent now, is that much less I have in my paint account. And how quickly the dollars flow....

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Paul.
Thanks.

coil is GM 90's era but a standard coil will work as well

module is mounted on the inner fenderwell, passenger side. Send me your email address and I will send photos. palmjeld at yahoo.com. Pete

gdive

Donation Time
Duraspark

I just posted on the other distributor thread also. I can send pictures of how I mounted my Mallory Hyfire module and coil. I had to make some brackets. A side note is that your factory tach will not work with this setup. It may work for a very short time that crap out using either the yellow or white wires from the module. Don't waste your money on the little coil option from Mallory either, that will not work. What eventually worked for me was I sent my tach to a place back east and they modified it to accept a digital input from modern modules. It looks the same on the outside, but guts have been replaced and it works great now!.

roger

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ignition

I have a 74 2.8 v6 and a points distributor that is small.no module and no coil, or pigtail.is the dura spark 2 the best system?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I have a 74 2.8 v6 and a points distributor that is small.no module and no coil, or pigtail.is the dura spark 2 the best system?

It (duraspark) will have a much hotter spark, which usually results in easier starting and more spark energy at idle and under load.

The Duraspark2 coil is one of the strongest OEM coils I have ever tested, and I've tested many.
The Duraspark modules are generally reliable, but do yourself a favor and buy a new one since they have a limited amount of life before they just stop working and you have no idea how long a used on has left on it.

Mount it inside the cockpit and it will probably last forever.

roger

Bronze Level Sponsor
Duraspark

Does a 1976 dura spark 2 distributor and drive gear fit my 1974 v6 2.8 block?or should I change gear