• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Duraspark distributor question

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Jim and Bill,

Bill, I agree that they don't shatter for no reason and perhaps Jim is correct that it shouldn't have been a roll
pin as it cant handle ( or at least the one the rebuilder used couldn't) the torque on the shaft. Maybe it should
have been a solid pin. I'll see if they have a good thick wall pin or at least something with a little interference
so it holds.

I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again,
Steve

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Well, I took the distributor to my machinist this morning. He's very experienced with distributors
and can spot problems that most can't. Besides the shattered pin, he found that the shaft is very worn
enough to cause a significant wobble on the reluctor. If fact that may well have done the pin in.

So, it's new distributor time. My next question is will a Duraspark II dizzy bolt in on an older engine.
This engine is a '75, the DII came about in '76.

Anyone know?

Thanks!
Steve

Fergusonic

Donation Time
Does the Duraspark II distributor require a different Module Box and Coil that the smaller diameter Distributor?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Duraspark II box. Coil is fine. I prefer the 4 pin GM HEI with newer low resistance HEI or TFI coil.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for the replies!

What color tab is on the Duraspark II module? I'm inclined to go w/GM
but we put a Duraspark harness in a little over a year ago, so don't know if the
owner wants to switch. We currently have the blue tab module.
Thanks!
Steve

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Jim,
That's the same wiring and module that we've been using with the other dist.
Thanks a bunch!
Steve

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I figured I'd follow up with how this all worked out. I was able to pick up a slightly used Duraspark II dizzy
from forum member Fergusonic ( Thanks Bradley!) When I got it, it seems that the only difference was the cap & rotor.
I changed out the breaker plate as the wires on the "new " dizzy were cut and the plug was missing. By the way, this
distributor has a roll pin holding the reluctor.

Once I retimed the engine ( it had been over a week since I removed the old dizzy and memory isn't as good as it
used to be!) the engine ran better than it ever had previously. I think Jim was correct, we had gotten a bad rebuild.
Upon closer inspection the old dizzy had one spring that actually did nothing. It was totally loose and provided no
tension.

Anyway to sum it up, the car runs really well ! If you get a rebuilt dizzy check it over very carefully.

Cheers!
Steve