• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dual chamber master

Charles Johns

Donation Time
I would like to change my Wilwood single master to a duel chamber type. Lots of 1" bore style available but can't find a 3/4 or 11/16 bore anywhere...at least the size is not listed. Also, is a 1" bore all that bad with manual disc-drum Sunbeam brakes? I am totally rebuilding them. An off-the-shelf factory would be fine with me...maybe even better than a Wilwood due to availability. I build drivers not show cars. Looking at my work that should be obvious.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Charlie, With an Automatic tranny you can mount the Master in the "clutch" side and have a few more options on the Hyd line connections.

If you can find a Dodge Colt Tandem Master 11/16" it may be a best choice of you. A 3/4" is also, but I don't believe I'd go with 1"

I recently bought a Cardone master part number 11-1757 from Rock Auto, the Eleven number denotes 11/16" dia bore.

Bill Blue, Barry Knight and Jim Nichols (260) are good at helping...

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
At this point in time, no one seems to know of a suitable aftermarket duel chamber MC. Yes, 1" would be all that bad.

SOME, not all, of the Fiestas (from the seventies) had 11/16" bore, some had 3/4" bore. Some may have had larger bores, I don't know. They all appear to be adaptable to the Alpine, i.e. appropriate port location and mounting holes.

Bill

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Remember the Chevette 3/4" manual master. Would need a dual bolt pattern adapter and cut the eye off shaft and thread for clevis.

Chevette.jpg

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I would like to change my Wilwood single master to a duel chamber type. Lots of 1" bore style available but can't find a 3/4 or 11/16 bore anywhere...at least the size is not listed. Also, is a 1" bore all that bad with manual disc-drum Sunbeam brakes? I am totally rebuilding them. An off-the-shelf factory would be fine with me...maybe even better than a Wilwood due to availability. I build drivers not show cars. Looking at my work that should be obvious.
I've always run a 1" Wilwood master no I'll effects in my world.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
But your not a woose like the rest of us. The upside of using an auto is that TWO feet will be available for Charlie to use to slow down. Or as my brother in law used to say, "One foot to slow down, two to stop."

Charlie, if you want a larger master cylinder, I have a fairly late model GM 7/8" with adapter I'll send you. It was okay when combined with 2 1/2" Metric calipers. Just pay the postage.

Bill

Charles Johns

Donation Time
I guess I am not alone with a master cylinder problem. THANKS for all the help and suggestions. In my head a 1" would probably be okay but I like the idea of less foot pressure in case the wife drives it...so I will get a 11/16 or 3/4 unit. Dan gave me some info for a good one and tomorrow I will look seriously. I have already moved the master to the clutch hole to give room for my gas pedal...which is a totally different problem. I have a Mustang pedal that "pulls" a cable which will be necessary to work the carb sitting sideways on the intake. I am also working on radiator hoses and have them figured out...I think. It requires a couple of hoses cut and modified with a short section of pipe in the middle. Done that before so not a new problem. Mounting trans lines, brake lines, fuel lines, wiring Adel clamps, and anything that requires drilling holes. Years ago I learned to do all that BEFORE painting. Welding up holes or drilling new ones after the paint is applied is just dumb...but I have done dumb stuff before.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Good choice!
When you drove my car the 7/8" master cylinder had been ditched in favor of a 13/16" and a modified brake pedal to give a 6:1 ratio rather than the stock 4.5:1 ratio.

Bill

Charles Johns

Donation Time
On my 32 coupe I had to extend the pedal about 3" to get it in line with the gas pedal. The extra leverage made a BIG difference so I may do the longer pedal modification to add power. Procraft probably has a big left leg if he races much. I like a standard for running the twisties but it sucks in traffic. A race friend once made me a "deal" on a new clutch for the wife's mustang. He forgot to mention it was off one of his drag cars, and the feel was similar to my garage door spring. After a few days back and forth to work, she gave me THE LOOK! All married men understand THE LOOK, so we traded it in on a new 71 Mustang fastback. I'll never forget the statement by the guy who took our 67 in trade. "Damn Dude, did a gorilla drive this thing!" The wife gave me THE LOOK again at that comment, and I dared not tell the guy it was her car. Her 71 was an automatic.