• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Drive it or Tow it

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Barb and I have just received our second Covid shot and are determined to make the SUNI. The question is how do we get there. The DuraPine II will likely still be in the basement. That leaves us with the Fastback. Normally we would not hesitate to drive the Sunbeam, but this Sunbeam has fewer than 15,000 miles on it. The drive to K.C. means a thousand miles added to the odometer. That 15,000 miles is not measured from rebuild, but measured from factory. Its like it is a factory new new car that is 50 years old. We want to drive it but hate to put the miles on it.

Comments, please. Keep in mind we do not have a trailer or anything to tow a trailer.

Bill

Fergusonic

Donation Time
My vote is Drive it and get some enjoyment out of it instead of walking past it everyday in the garage. If there was a car for sale with 15K miles on it or a car that had 16K miles on it; I would see no difference in value.

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
Drive it! Enjoy it! No point passing a low mileage car on to someone so they can put the miles on. The car is and was built for driving. Why own something if you don't enjoy it for its intended purpose.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
First figure if the car will make it then think will you make it.
The Harley guys call them empty miles, look at your proposed route and guesstimate those. You know the miles few and far between rest stops for the Mrs as a Gatorade bottle works for us. Then contemplate the ride time wondering what will break. Maybe having chase car with Mrs in with spares and roadside equipment and a trailer hitch on it just in case.

There's a plan C that some West coast guys talk about and that's a tow out and drive back. No time restraints on return if it breaks the whole trip isn't fouled.

Then after considering the $ think about the flack you may take for not dropping that kinda dough to go elsewhere. It's been pointed out on another forum by a guy who's name shan't be mentioned that the host town really isn't a tourist destination. However I think that was cause it planned as a midweek gig for $ weekend rate avoidance. But maybe since 2020 was a bust the travel kitty is full. Screenshot_20210212-065648.png

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Bill; If I could cross the border, I'd come down and drive it for you. You wouldn't have to drive, and I will put the miles on.
Problem solved.
Seriously, depending on distance, an older car with few miles on it, you might want to keep your outings within the realm of " if something goes wrong, we can get it home easily and safely". At least until your sure of the car. " Time and unforeseen circumstances".
Bob

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill: It is easy for all of us to sit here and say "drive it!" since it isn't our car. However, knowing you as I do, I have to agree. The miles you put on the Durapine I were incredible and, as long as you still feel up to long road trips, I say keep at it!

I will be surprised if fastback Alpines ever make it to the rarified world where a few thousand miles make a difference in value. Think of it this way: you paid $9500 for the car with 13,000 miles. Would you have passed on it at that price with 20,000 miles? 50,000? It is a time capsule car, but you'd have to drive it a long way to change that.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am not terribly concerned about the car being up to the trip. Besides, there is a long summer between now SUNI, time to ferret out any problems.

The trip is one we've made well over a hundred times, many of the them in the DuraPine. Barb was born in Independence but grew up in Kansas City and still has relatives in the area. So no surprises during the trip. All in all, since miles have been deemed not important, my only concern is not ruining the Fastback's 1725. We usually make the trip at a steady 70-75 mph, something that is not good for the 1725 with a 3.89 rear. Guess we will make the trip at a sedate 60, something we've been talking about for years!

Bill

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
So, Deb and I have to prep our red Mark V! About 1300 miles each way, far enough inland to escape labor day hurricanes.
Shannon Boal

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Drive it Bill. Keep 'em on the road, remember? I hope to be there as well.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Drive it Bill. Keep 'em on the road, remember? I hope to be there as well.
I hate the idea of driving a great car into the ground. But WTH, let the good times roll! It will be fun, more like a reunion than a car club meet.

Bill

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill & Barb-If you take the back roads @ 60mph you get to see more of the USA. They have always been more memorable when we have done that, it is a lot easier on “Judy”.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Also there may be a caravan of Sunbeams from the south(Florida or SE)that’s going to SUNI, you can hook up with them. Always safety in numbers.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
If all goes well, registration will begin in early April. Stay tuned for more info!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Also there may be a caravan of Sunbeams from the south(Florida or SE)that’s going to SUNI, you can hook up with them. Always safety in numbers.
That would be great. If anybody wants to do that, plan on staying (for free) at Blue's Sunbeamers Refuge.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
We volunteer to be in the rocking chair. Although I gotta warn you, Barb likes to be the trail gunner in order to keep an eye on everybody and make sure we don't loose someone.

Bill