• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Door Weatherstrips

howard

Donation Time
My SIV will require the rubber strips that keep water from rolling down the glass and into the door replaced. I've not had the doors apart, save for manufacturing/installing door panels. Is this a tricky project? Will I need any special tools? Are these weatherstrips special or is there a "generic" rubber strip that most people use?

I suppose I ought to spray the inside of the door with some rubberized sealant while I'm at it to reduce rust possibilities and road noise. I wonder if some kind of insulation would fit and work...?

mikephillips

Donation Time
It's nit a particularly difficult job to replace the window wipes. You want the ones that Sunbeam Specialties sells, they have a metal core along the door and a covering on the side against the glass to minimize scratching. You' ll need to be carful in removing the old ones, they slip under a series of clips on the door, carefully cut the top off the old ons with an exacto knife or similiar to see them. Those clips have little barbs on the end to grab the strip, you'll need to use a small screwdriver or other blade to move them out from the strip to get it loose. But be careful, the clips easily break off or pull loose and drop into the door.

As for spraying a coating inside the door, you need to clean it out first. They all have a tarpaper type coating inside for sound deadening and it's usually come mostly or completely off and dropped into the bottom of the door. Don't be surprised to find dirt, twigs, leaves, ect in there too.