• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Do-it-yourself Dual Exhaust

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
The purpose of this post is to show you can cheaply do your own dual exhausts using only off the shelf auto parts store components.

I initially wanted a temporary exhaust system to just get my V6 Alpine on the road intending to eventually have a second exhaust pass through fabricated for a dual 'Tiger' exhaust. However, after hearing how well the exhaust sounded and getting a couple 'hey, cool looking exhaust!' comments at a couple car shows I have happily decided to leave it all in place.

All components are off the shelf Autozone parts. Each exhaust side is comprised of seven, 2 or 2 1/4" pipe pieces, clamps, a rubber strap exhaust hanger, muffler (small, compact 8x11x3 1/2" Thrush) and Permatex Exhaust Sealer. No cutting, bending or welding required. Unfortunately, since it was supposed to be a temporary solution I didn't make note of any part numbers.

Both exhausts are relatively light weight and solidly in place, the rubber strap acting as a pivot point and allowing for just enough movement to allow for some engine and body movement.

After a few days of test driving I could see soot from some exhaust leaks here and there but reassembly using the Permatex Sealant at the joints cured the leaks (the other option would be to weld all the joints together for a little cleaner look). The largest components, the small 3 1/2" high mufflers, are set into the pocket straight across from the cruciform X. Ground clearance is 5" at any lowest point, not bad but I do slow down for the occasional speed bump or steep driveway ;)

With those exhaust tips ending right at the sill panels, the answer is, no, I don't drive around with a hard or soft top on (it's Southern California after all :) ). If you plan to, then like any exhaust system, you better extend those exhaust tips out a ways to avoid getting gassed.

https://goo.gl/photos/ACgvP53rBnJHq17Q8

Last edited: