• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Distributor drive issue

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I am contemplating pulling my original points distributor and switching over to a Duraspark as my winter project. Before doing so, I have a question for the brain trust here at SAOCA.

The last time I pulled my distributor (to install my 5 speed trans) I had a hell of a time putting it back in, because the shaft that drives it kept flopping over to one side. I finally had to drop the oil pan to solve the problem. Anybody had a similar problem or insight into what was going on? My local mechanic suggested that the oil pump maybe missing a sleeve or collar that should be holding the shaft in place.

Thanks in advance for thoughts & suggestions!

Todd Reid

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
I always thought there was a small ring or circlip on the top to keep this from happening

Bruce

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Todd,

The oil pump must be dropped and the oil pump drive shaft needs to be installed then then the pulm can be replaced. The shaft has a thin metal ring that stops the shaft from pulling out when the distributor is pulled and should keep it aligned so the distributor can be installed easily. If the shaft isn't installed before the pump is bolted up, it will flop over os even pull out when you remove the distributor. it will be a pain to pull the oil pan again, but you'll need to do it to permanently fix the problem. Make sure the oil pump driveshaft has the little ring on it, or replace it for a new one.

I am contemplating pulling my original points distributor and switching over to a Duraspark as my winter project. Before doing so, I have a question for the brain trust here at SAOCA.

The last time I pulled my distributor (to install my 5 speed trans) I had a hell of a time putting it back in, because the shaft that drives it kept flopping over to one side. I finally had to drop the oil pan to solve the problem. Anybody had a similar problem or insight into what was going on? My local mechanic suggested that the oil pump maybe missing a sleeve or collar that should be holding the shaft in place.

Thanks in advance for thoughts & suggestions!

Todd Reid

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Are you fellows talking about a 1592 or 1725 cc Alpine engine or a V6 engine? I have pulled oil pumps on two 1725 cc engines and don't recall anything like a special ring on either the oil pump or the dizzy.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Bringing this back up to the top. I have dropped the oil pan, purchased a new intermediate shaft, and Felpro gasket set. Old shaft has the ring installed, and appears to be identical to the new shaft. Also noted that the oil pump gasket supplied by Felpro is the wrong size. Pulled out an old NAPA gasket set I had and the oil pump gasket is identical to the Felpro gasket. So we seem to have two mysteries going - why does the shaft flop when the dizzy is pulled, and why the differences in gaskets?

My engine is out of a Capri, and was made in Germany. Perhaps Ford made some changes when they started to make the engine domestically for the Mutsang II? I seem to recall that the sump was different.

Your thoughts appreciated!

TR

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bringing this back up to the top. I have dropped the oil pan, purchased a new intermediate shaft, and Felpro gasket set. Old shaft has the ring installed, and appears to be identical to the new shaft. Also noted that the oil pump gasket supplied by Felpro is the wrong size. Pulled out an old NAPA gasket set I had and the oil pump gasket is identical to the Felpro gasket. So we seem to have two mysteries going - why does the shaft flop when the dizzy is pulled, and why the differences in gaskets?

My engine is out of a Capri, and was made in Germany. Perhaps Ford made some changes when they started to make the engine domestically for the Mutsang II? I seem to recall that the sump was different.

Your thoughts appreciated!

TR

Todd,

I'm not familiar with the internals of your engine but I'll make a guess. The intermediate shaft is probably only supported by the bearings in the oil pump and distributor. Once the distributor is out, there is nothing to support the shaft laterally except the socket in the pump shaft. The ring is probably just a stop to prevent dropping the shaft to the oil pan accidentally or other longitudinal location use. That socket wouldn't be a press fit so as to accommodate a slight bit of misalignment like a universal. On the gasket, RockAuto lists the same pumps for German and American production. The one pic I looked at had two different gaskets with it. I'm thinking one for oil pump pickup and one for block to oil pump outlet. The larger of the two a bit odd shaped.

I might well be wrong but I tried.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Don
Thanks for your input. I think you are probably correct regarding the gasket - it probably fits between the pump and the pickup screen. Based on Jose's previous comment, the flopping shaft would not seem to be normal.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
When I installed the Duraspark in the v6 , I had the same problem w/ the shaft not remaining completely vertical.
It has been several years but I think I used a slim screwdriver to align the shaft, but did get it home. It has not been a problem since
and the engine starts, runs and oils very well. Run about 55 lbs. oil pressure.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don
Thanks for your input. I think you are probably correct regarding the gasket - it probably fits between the pump and the pickup screen. Based on Jose's previous comment, the flopping shaft would not seem to be normal.

Todd,

Jose's reply seems to indicate the shaft should be installed from the bottom of the block and then the pump is installed (ring below a smaller hole for retention if pulled upward). That would make it seem the ring could supply some lateral support when installed. I don't how that block is machined in that area. The RockAuto pic looks like maybe the ring is not an integral part of the shaft but could slide on the shaft to facilitate fit. Try checking to see it that method of installation is the way to go. A bit of grease in the shaft's oil pump socket MIGHT help a bit for initial installation.

Good luck.

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
I just replaced the points disti from my ‘73 2.6 Capri V6 with an electronic disti for a 2.8 V6. It was a pain to get it to seat, but enough jiggling and removing/installing (an hour or so) in and out and if finally sat down, with the rotor pointing in the right direction. I did notice that the old disti would go on/off no issue, the NOS was much more difficult.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am breaking down a 2.8 and here is what I found. If you remove the oil pump the shaft will come out w/ the pump.
On the shaft, 58 mm/2.2 " , from the top of the shaft is a washer, serrated on the inside, that is forced onto the shaft to the dimension stated .
That washer centers the shaft in the hole allowing the dist. to be installed and will not pill out when the dist. is removed.
I do not think this engine has been opened before but woul;d not guarantee such. However what I described is what I found.
Seems to agre w/ other posts.