• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Disappointed

Tullamore

Donation Time
I am disappointed in the direction this site has been taking. When I first came to this site all of the information on it was visible to anyone. Then some of the information moved into a members only are. Now you have to register and login to even read the forum posts.

I do not understand where this need of control is coming from but I feel that it is very much not in the spirit of the car hobby. I feel some things such as the registry should be kept to the members for the protection of originality/owners but I strongly disagree that the rest of the information on the site should, especially the forums.

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
Steve,

To be honest, the officers have nothing to do with the site being unavailable to anyone without logging in. I set it that way while setting this all up prior to taking it live. To be honest... I didn't even think about it being closed to the general public after we went live or it even being a problem. I've been too busy fixing bugs and other stuff to even give it a second thought. So, that has nothing at all to do with control at all. It just how it all went down... nothing more. So please don't make it into something that it isn't.

However, I've just taken this very topic up with the officers this morning. The question is... what do members get for their money and how do we manage it?

Right now it is up in the air as to how much we make available to the general public and how much is behind closed doors. I'm leaving those decisions up to the officers, but I have always felt that membership should be free. Unfortunately, costs of running a web site, holding events, domain names, insurance, etc... aren't free. So we must charge something or else it comes out of someones pocket... like it did mine for many years.

One topic is how to have automated dues tied into membership. We do have the ability to tie site registration in with a paypal subscription. All of this opens up a new can of worms and I'm sure no matter what the club decides to do, some people will be unhappy. Some people want to pay with a check, some want to pay two to three years in advance, some don't want to pay but still want to access the forum... on and on and on.

I think the easiest way to do this is to simply use a paypal donation method and hope people contribute. You can guess the problem that results from that.

I don't know the answers this right now, but I can set the site to view rights for unregistered "guests". I guess though I'm a little confused because if one was going to use the forum they need to register anyway. What difference would it make if guests can view it or not. I could see this being a bigger problem if forum registration was tied into paypal dues. Know what I mean?

Right now I'm more concerned with making sure everything is working and the site content is getting finished. I'll let the officers figure out who can see what for their membership dues. I would suggest you take your opinion up with them. I will be sure to include it as we continue to discuss this issue.

What you must understand is this. What started out as a simple web site has evolved into a National club. We must provide value to members and we are doing the best we can to keep everyone happy. I can say this... we have an awesome team of officers right now and I feel the club is back on a positive track again. Our goal is to get back on track in 2008 with a great web site and working membership dues process. Andrew Masse is also going to be getting our newsletter going again, so we have a lot of positive stuff going on. I encourage everyone to join the club and help support our efforts. So, Let me know if you have ideas and continue to voice your opinion.

BTW... thanks for the help with the Board Problem topics.

Tullamore

Donation Time
However, I've just taken this very topic up with the officers this morning. The question is... what do members get for their money and how do we manage it?

I'm glad to hear that this is under discussion, I know I pressed hard earlier when those factory pictures were on eBay that if the site were to obtain them that they be made available to for everyone to see even if they are not a member. A good compromise was suggested that if your a member you are able to view higher res versions. <-- A great compromise and not withholding a piece of history from everyone else.

There may be a newsletter soon and it would be great to have that be another thing that is put up on the site in pdf form and made available for free. If people see that it is a quality publication they will become members and look forward to seeing an actual copy arrive in their mailbox.

Right now it is up in the air as to how much we make available to the general public and how much is behind closed doors. I'm leaving those decisions up to the officers, but I have always felt that membership should be free. Unfortunately, costs of running a web site, holding events, domain names, insurance, etc... aren't free. So we must charge something or else it comes out of someones pocket... like it did mine for many years.

I think the easiest way to do this is to simply use a paypal donation method and hope people contribute. You can guess the problem that results from that.

I run 40 websites myself, all free, all ad-free, and all completely funded out of my own pocket, one of which is a 900+ member club for bus conversion enthusiasts so I understand your concerns. I think that if you have the content base that is valuable to keep running that donations would not be a problem. But if you have little of value or a site that is hard to use you may have to resort to forcing payments. I would argue that if you made everything available to everyone they feel that they are contributing to something great, especially if at some point there was wiki/knowledge base that could be created and maintained by everyone.

I don't know the answers this right now, but I can set the site to view rights for unregistered "guests". I guess though I'm a little confused because if one was going to use the forum they need to register anyway. What difference would it make if guests can view it or not. I could see this being a bigger problem if forum registration was tied into paypal dues. Know what I mean?

If I were coming to this site for the first time I am not sure I would take the time to register. I am not able to see that there is some value in being a member. New sunbeam owners, those curious, and those doing research through search engines will not be able to see what the site offers and does not create an inviting environment to become a member.

I also know several people, my dad included who is a tiger owner, who check this site maybe every two months just to see if there is something interesting who probably have never registered and will not go through the hassle. Besides everyone who runs a forum knows that the majority of the people registered only read and never post. [People hate having to register for every site they visit, especially because they might feel they will get more spam if they give out their email address]

Thats just my two/three cents.

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
Yah Steve, I know where you are coming from and I share a lot of the same thoughts. Glad to hear your thoughts based upon real experience. Scott and I have talked a lot about this and it's tough to make decisions when you don't have a lot of experience to draw from.

I can agree with you that we must keep things simple and easy to use for the membership. Good point about people turning away and not taking the time to register.

Glad you spoke up. You have been helpful here.

Tullamore

Donation Time
Just thought I would remind you also that if you keep things locked down you will have to also grant access to the search engines or else when people do searches they will not know that this site is the place they are looking for.

Thank you for listening to my concerns, it is refreshing to not get into a flame war on the internet over opinions!

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
Steve,

It's cool... after I walked out of my 70+ hour a week high stress job last March I've learned to not let these things bother me. These things are all opinions and opinions are what help us to make this club better.

I'll be playing more with plug-ins and subscriptions this weekend. Don't be surprised if a few things change again... don't worry, nothing drastic like skin changes! :) I'll keep it simple.

Still trying to fix the Public User Profile SQL error. I researsched the problem at vbulletins forum and see others have had this problem too. I tried the recommended fix and it didn't work. Have you seen this before? Any thoughts?

Tullamore

Donation Time
Still trying to fix the Public User Profile SQL error. I researsched the problem at vbulletins forum and see others have had this problem too. I tried the recommended fix and it didn't work. Have you seen this before? Any thoughts?

No sorry because it is open source I have always used phpBB instead of vBulletin.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Steve: I'm not trying to be a smartass, but you make it tough to understand what you're saying when you use "where" (at, in, or to what place) in place of "were."

Jim E

Donation Time
Nick you are too.

Steve can you link us to the Bus site, got a 60 passenger looking for some ideas and recaps.

Thanks jim

Jim E

Donation Time
Thanks. Will not stray off topic too much but we are looking to build a car hauler and big old moving van combo. Thanks again for the link.