• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Diff Bearing Shim

johnd

Donation Time
I was preparing to install this replacement differential in my SII when I noticed that what appears to be a mis-centered bearing shim. This is the bearing that fits into the front of the diff housing. Is this normal or is it a concern? Photo attached. Thanks.

Attachments

• Diff Bearing Shim.jpg
    Diff Bearing Shim.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 59

johnd

Donation Time
Dang - I was afraid that it was something like that. I suppose it can't or should not be used in that condition.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
John, comparing your 2 dimension photo with drawings in the WSM, it looks to me that this is a normal appearance. As Old Limey suggested, I think you need to rotate the pinion and watch. I assume you will see each the rollers and the cage rotate with the pinion. But you will not see the exact same picture at each tooth position because the number of teeth do not match the number of rollers. Between each pinion tooth you will see some part of the bearing assembly and it will rotate smoothly.

Tom

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
John,

I just happen to be working on my diff. right now (well, at home, I'm at work). I'll take a look when I get home. Question for you: If you move either gear back and forth, how much play is there between the two. Mine seems a bit excessive to me, but I have nothing to base it on.

Anyone else with information too, please chime in.

Thanks.

Mike

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Update: I checked the ring gear bolts on my diff - all 8 were loose. Odometer had 55k on it, doesn't look like it had ever been opened. I don't know if it made any noise, as car was partially disassembled when I got it. Lock washers were in place and wouldn't allow the bolts to come out, but with essentially no force with an open end wrench, I could move all of them. Bolt shanks show minor witness marks from the gear moving back and forth.

Mike

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
John,

I just happen to be working on my diff. right now (well, at home, I'm at work). I'll take a look when I get home. Question for you: If you move either gear back and forth, how much play is there between the two. Mine seems a bit excessive to me, but I have nothing to base it on.

Anyone else with information too, please chime in.

Thanks.

Mike

Covered in the Workshop Manual here: http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/downloads/WSM 124 SI-SIV Manual/10 Rear Axle (G).pdf

Assuming everything else is correct, the backlash spec is 0.005 - 0.009".