• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Deciphering Vin Tag

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
i FOUND THIS "TAG", OR WHATS LEFT OF IT IN A BOX IN THE CAR, can anyone "Decipher it ? and would this help me in quest of a title ??
"Stamped into the tag, a Large B 9115809 (the 8 may be a 3) , then I think a( r) r x SB. in the top right a 52. everything else are specs and it is way too "corroded" to read. Thank you .
this" tag" Must be from the parts car that got crushed (series 2) the one I'm "saving" is series 3.

Last edited by a moderator:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
i FOUND THIS "TAG", OR WHATS LEFT OF IT IN A BOX IN THE CAR, can anyone "Decipher it ? and would this help me in quest of a title ??
"Stamped into the tag, a Large B 9115809 (the 8 may be a 3) , then I think a( r) r x SB. in the top right a 52. everything else are specs and it is way too "corroded" to read. Thank you .
this" tag" Must be from the parts car that got crushed (series 2) the one I'm "saving" is series 3.

B 9115809

B > 1960 and later

91 > series II

15809 > sequence of VIN (fairly late s II) apparent build date is week of 5-21-62

RRX > 1st R > R.H.D. export
........ > 2nd R > Roadster
........ > X > Non-standard

S.B. > sealed beam

52 > paint code > Lake Blue (Smoky mid Blue)

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
I would put money its actaully LRX. SI and a large number if SII have the vin stamped on the ledge inside the engine bay.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Nothing "stamped" on the cowl under the hood. if there ever was, it's long since rusted away. no engine, no trans, NO TAGS at all, no Dash, no interior , no hood, no deck lid , no "covers" (sides or rear) for conv top fold down ( I understand they didn't come with a conv top, so Why would they have made a 3 piece panel to fold down "over" the top ???) no windshield or frame.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Nothing "stamped" on the cowl under the hood. if there ever was, it's long since rusted away. no engine, no trans, NO TAGS at all, no Dash, no interior , no hood, no deck lid , no "covers" (sides or rear) for conv top fold down ( I understand they didn't come with a conv top, so Why would they have made a 3 piece panel to fold down "over" the top ???) no windshield or frame.
A B91 serial is a SII...so if you have a S3 its not from your car.

The S3GT had no soft top. It also did not have the folding metal covers. It had ply panels clad in vynil to create a rear seat area these were mounted to metal stays that secure between the rear parcel shelf and the rear scuttle.

ebay732885.jpg

Of course all the info above relies on the person reading it carefully to conpare what they have.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
I see, the metal covers I Have came off the 62 that got scrapped. love that interior

alpine_64

Donation Time
I see, the metal covers I Have came off the 62 that got scrapped. love that interior
The Si/II covers (which also have detail difference from each other) dont work on the s3 onwards.

You can convet a GT to softop using s3-V metal boxes... Or find a donor SV setup which is much more practical to use.

You can also keep the rear seat and add a soft top per the UK alpine guide instructions