• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dashboard switch installation

sunny67

Silver Level Sponsor
Is there a special tool or technique to tightening the slotted nuts on the dashboard switches? Every time I try a flat blade screwdriver, it slips out of the slot and scratches the dash. I just finished restoring the dash and I’m afraid to install the switches.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
It looks like this, if you're good with a file you can make one. I did not make this one.
Tom j20240325_181402~2.jpg

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have two of those, one sized for the switches and one for the ignition switch. They look like they're just made out of black pipe and I sure they would be easy to make, but I'm happy to have just bought them. I did weld an old socket on to the back of each of them. allowing me to attach a small wrench to them. Not for torque, just to make handling them a little easier.
It looks like this, if you're good with a file you can make one. I did not make this one.
Tom jView attachment 31340

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
And here I have just been jamming the jaws of a needle nose pliers in those slots and turning. I guess I should have known there was an actual tool for the job.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I purchased the proper tools but found that I could make a better tool by angle grinding down an old socket. It has the advantage that you can fit a small ratchet to it to tighten it.
Tim R