• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dashboard SII

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Just wondering the original style of the series II dashboard. Always thought SI /II is had a dark grey dashboard with raised heater controls. However when taking apart a late Series II I found a mat black dash with acrylic heater control bezel . Was it correct ? When was the actual changeover timing ?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Just wondering the original style of the series II dashboard. Always thought SI /II is had a dark grey dashboard with raised heater controls. However when taking apart a late Series II I found a mat black dash with acrylic heater control bezel . Was it correct ? When was the actual changeover timing ?

I know the Late SII's had the acrylic heater control bezel, but not sure if they had also gone to the black finsh.. was it crackle black.. the S3St's has the crackle black finish on the dash.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
It´s actually a very late SII. VIN is B9119060 LRX . Hard to tell whether crackle black or not. The colour has quite faded. Could be...

alpine_64

Donation Time
It´s actually a very late SII. VIN is B9119060 LRX . Hard to tell whether crackle black or not. The colour has quite faded. Could be...

Just to clarify, the crackle black is the finsih and colour.. the "crackle" is a textured type finish.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Understand about the crackle finish. Also the same car had - much to my surprise - a map light which was mounted above the glovebox. The light was exactly the same type as for my SV however w/o any integrated switch function. Looks like a later add-on but installation looked somewhat original. Another mystery. Anybody having the same ?

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
The Series II I have [ Mar.63 ] had the grey Azure finish on the dash w/ raised bakelite surround on the heater controls/raised letters and the glove box light mounted as you described. Oddly, it is registered as a 1961.

65beam

Donation Time
dash board

one of my harringtons has the map light controlled by the same switch that that controls the panel lights. it's a two position switch.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Understand about the crackle finish. Also the same car had - much to my surprise - a map light which was mounted above the glovebox. The light was exactly the same type as for my SV however w/o any integrated switch function. Looks like a later add-on but installation looked somewhat original. Another mystery. Anybody having the same ?

All the SII 's had the glovebox light, but they did nt have aswitch on the lamp body they were controled by the dash. On early cars off the panel switch.. later SII's had a bezel labled "PANEL" and "MAP"

alpine_64

Donation Time
Is this an easily available finish? Can it be duplicated with a rattle can?

jim there are places that sell the cracle finsh in a can.. sort of a texture paint that srhinks and wrinkles as it drys.. i not sure the rocker cover ones would work on plastic of the dash.. but you can do it.. would you like some detailed pics of grahams S3 dash?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Michael; that would help. The PO of my S3 painted the dashboard with crackle finish paint, but I don't think it is correct. I believe it may be too much crackle. I doubt I will have the car together by the next Invasion; I may bring the dashboard with me to compare to others'.

mickjj

Donation Time
I am going through something similar. the PO had a series V dash put in my seriesI. I have attained a properdash but as you can imagine it is old and well worn. I am trying to work out if it should be the dark grey colour that it is or a brighter siver colour like the picture on the "Tech Pages" http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?categoryid=85
I have tried to find the "crakle" pait but cannot get anything in grey just black.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I am going through something similar. the PO had a series V dash put in my seriesI. I have attained a properdash but as you can imagine it is old and well worn. I am trying to work out if it should be the dark grey colour that it is or a brighter siver colour like the picture on the "Tech Pages" http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?categoryid=85
I have tried to find the "crakle" pait but cannot get anything in grey just black.

The S3 was black crackle, it was the only crackle finish dash.

The SI/II had the silver/grey dash, but it was a smooth finish.. and despite many being light silver.. they were actually more a midish grey

Limey

Donation Time
The S3 was black crackle, it was the only crackle finish dash.

The SI/II had the silver/grey dash, but it was a smooth finish.. and despite many being light silver.. they were actually more a midish grey

Series II gray dash is:-
ICI Rootes Paint Colours 1961 - 1969 (63 clours)
'Metallic Silver Grey'
Clear base P017-404 50 %
Aluminium Bright P030-9995 14%
Blue Black P030-9949 - 6%
Reduced Blue Black P062-9949 21%
Reduced White P063-9929 - 7%
Reduced yellow Oxide P062-9911 - 2%

My local (tiny) paint shop still mixes original ICI paints in cellulose for the classic body shops of which there are many in London and had it in a pot in 3 minutes flat. I pulled out my ICI swatch in hesitation and doubt and he trumped me with a huge ICI reference bible from the Sixties!

Might be harder in the States of course.

I can put a pint in the post if you want 100% accuracy, not sure about paint accros the ocean cost wise but the offers there;)

All the best

Oliver