• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dashboard removal

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi all, I'm putting a SV back together and I've done searches, maybe not putting the right terms in. I've come up w/a lot of threads about replacing the dash, w/beautiful wood and aluminum dash's, but not the actual steps for removal and my manual doesn't address it. I see the 3 or 4 large phillips screws in the face, but are these the only fasteners, holding it in?
Thanks
Ron

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
No. The padded rail at the bottom of the dash also holds it in place. There are bolts at each end, under the steering column and into braces going to the firewall.

Bill

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for the replies and info, Bill and Allan
I knew it couldn't be as easy as the phillips screws.
I should be able to figure it out now.
Ron

howard

Donation Time
It's really pretty straightforward, once you get into it. I would consider removing the seats to give you some working room if you're going to remove the dash and gauges completely. (Of course, if you're putting the Series V back together, they're probably already out...:eek:)

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Well Howard, I'm using the phrase "putting it back together" very loosely since putting back together someone elses unfinished project always entails taking it apart, again. :( The body is in decent shape but needs painting. I'm pretty sure I'll have the engine running shortly. I'm waiting for my carbs to come back from being sonic cleaned. I've taken the brake & clutch hydraulics apart to find out they had already been rebuilt...except the clutch slave, I had to replace that, I'm gonna have to replace a couple of the steel hydraulic lines, also. The interior, ragtop and all rubber seals are the things that have to be totally redone and the dash removal is part of the interior that needs to be taken apart before I can put it back together. It will also make it easier to lay insulation and carpet. I also think I should have it painted before I do too much interior reinstall. This has been a very round about way of saying that I've already removed the seats.:D
Thanks for the input:)
Ron

alpine_64

Donation Time
speaking of pulling the dash... this may help others.. it didnt help my back...

A nice Sunday perfectly ruined.. but job done.. until i have to pull it again to put in the glovebox hole and cigarette lighter hole!

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Will you have to replace the dash pad, too?

Lower rail and padding seem to be in good shape. I've already removed the upper padding, vinyl and foam was hard and cracking. I think I'm gonna use a piece of 2 in diameter round foam, w/a slice taken out, to fit over the metal lip, cover material may be anything from vinyl to leather.

Very nice looking dash, Michael.

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Windshield frame is already removed as well as the glass from the frame. Did that before removing the padding so saw that the dash pad material goes under frame. Just about every bit of trim rubber is dry cracked and useless so it's all being replaced.
Thanks for the thoughts.

agmason

Donation Time
Looks like you eliminated the glove box. Or, does it have a door that doesn't show up in the photos.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Looks like you eliminated the glove box. Or, does it have a door that doesn't show up in the photos.

No you picked it correctly.. the dash is missing the glovebox hole.. the cigarette lighter hole the washer pump hole.. and the clock hole is the same size as the water/fuel.. all this will be amended next year.. so i will have the pleasure of pulling it again!

The dash is the bext finsihed i have seen.. the back is nicer than the front face of most.. but the above mentioned were missing.. but as i had promised someone else the dash that was in it.. out it came.. the fun of ownership.

howard

Donation Time
Love the wood dash! SO CLASSY!

I'd love to do that modification on mine, and I think if I do I'll try to get a steering wheel of matching wood-tones. That's the art-guy coming out in me. If I was smart enough, I'd find out how to make both the dash and wheel and make them out of the same wood source.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Love the wood dash! SO CLASSY!

I'd love to do that modification on mine, and I think if I do I'll try to get a steering wheel of matching wood-tones. That's the art-guy coming out in me. If I was smart enough, I'd find out how to make both the dash and wheel and make them out of the same wood source.

Howard,

I guess the odd thing for me was replacing a wood dash with a wood dash. As i said i have to remove it again to finsh it off with the missing cutouts.

The Tigers and GT alpines had a wood dash standard, with a matching wooden steering wheel. I have some pics of the stock setup if you are interested.. or look from some pics of Paul Scofields S3GT.. one of the nicest Sunbeams around be it tiger or alpine.