• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dash pad or lack thereof

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Our car came without the foam dash pad, just a layer of vinyl over the metal. I know SS has replacements but I was wondering if anyone has gone without any covering, just body colored metal? Does it look ok? Anybody have pics?

Here's a not so good picture of what I've got now, I'll try to get some more posted.

For now, I'm thinking of taking off the vinyl and cleaning up the paint to see what it looks like. Any opinions?

dmich2

Donation Time
I don't think I've seen any with just the vinyl Todd, but who knows. I'm in the process of replacing my pad and I found rust under the old one. Looks like some patching is in order.

Keep us posted if you do a bare dash...:eek: Go ahead Von....HIT ME!!!!!!:D

Dennis

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
There is an Alpine with a painted dash a couple of hours from me. I've talked about this car before (RX7 engine and custom bodywork) and really need to get some pictures of it next time I am near it. The owner painted the dash top body color and fabricated a rounded aluminum fascia (something like the edge of the stock dash pad) that fit along the flat part. It looked good, although it wasn't my taste. I think the padded dash looks a lot better. I made my own 20 years ago; its not that difficult. http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6886

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I paint my dash and toyed with the idea of leaving it that way, but let's face it, it looked unfinished. The padded dash adds a lot to the interior.

Bill

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Thanks for the feedback.

Just FYI, I uploaded some more pictures of my current dash covering. I may end up doing the proper foam pad, but I think at least pulling off the hideous vinyl and checking it out what's underneath is a no brainer.

66Tiger

Donation Time
I have mine off temporarily. The front facing of the sheetmetal is wavy and you can see some spotwelds...so I slapped a little body filler on mine to smooth things out a bit. I think it can look okay...but there is nothing like a well finished stock dashboard and covering.

Paul

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I've thought that a burl walnut dash, with a wood trim piece top and bottom might look nice. You can buy the dash, but not the trim. Your knees and forehead would be barkin' after a crash... if you survive, of course.
Ken