• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dash Holes

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rob, from the photo it appears that the dash is vinyl covered, based on texture and uneven appearance inside the hole. If so I suggest you look at the thickness of the molded ring around the clock hole on the backside, and also look at the inside edge, by pulling up the vinyl slightly. I suspect you may see signs of some machining to enlarge the hole. All it takes is to make it too large is 1/8" dia , or 1/16" around the inner edges. It looks to me that the PO enlarged it slightly to fit some non original item. I'll measure the outside dia of the back side ring on mine tonight, so we can compare.

Tom

agmason54

Donation Time
dash hole

Rob,
I made a nice wooden dash out of cherry once and cut the clock/dash emblem hole too big so I have already felt your pain. I fixed my problem by taking a chrome ring from a SI-III front turn signal and glued it backwards into the hole then fit the dash emblem inside of it. It sure beats a blank.I got 2-7/16 when measured a stock hole therefore yours has been tapped...
Agm

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I measured the width of the molded rings on the rear of my dash. The rings behind the clock hole, the ammeter hole, Oil Pressure hole are all 1/4" wide. So, Rob, if the ring around the clock hole on the rear of your dash is less than the others, it almost surely has been modifiied.

Tom

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
The area around the water temp gauge does look raised, but not the area around the clock hole. Bet it is an early series dash, but the rasied portion was cut away during enlarging.

Mike

alpine_64

Donation Time
Mike is right, I didn't spot the raised area around the temp gauge as i saw the different bezel.. if the dash has raised areas around the gauges it is an early series dash.. and given the clock hole has not got the raised area.. its been enlarged

agmason54

Donation Time
Dash hole

MK,
I would study the picture a little closer.....
The early dashes have raised slots even more pronounced than the clock hole for the heater controls and raised letters molded right into the dash-COLD WARM HOT on the left and OFF SCREEN CAR on the right*.The early dash also has the ignition switch all the way to the right about an inch and one half SW of the cigarette lighter. I don't have a later SIV-V dash in my lap but I am looking at an early one as I write. I believe the later dashes had slightly raised holes but not as pronounced as the SI-II.According to what I see Rob's dash is SV. The hole between the heater control slots and the plastic heater control knobs give it away.
Name your wager Mike,
Slick AL

* check out my picture under SI-II dash trim alternative in the modified section

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
MK,
I would study the picture a little closer.....
The early dashes have raised slots even more pronounced than the clock hole for the heater controls and raised letters molded right into the dash-COLD WARM HOT on the left and OFF SCREEN CAR on the right*.The early dash also has the ignition switch all the way to the right about an inch and one half SW of the cigarette lighter. I don't have a later SIV-V dash in my lap but I am looking at an early one as I write. I believe the later dashes had slightly raised holes but not as pronounced as the SI-II.According to what I see Rob's dash is SV. The hole between the heater control slots and the plastic heater control knobs give it away.
Name your wager Mike,
Slick AL

* check out my picture under SI-II dash trim alternative in the modified section

Al,

In an earlier post on this thread i did mention the heater control raised areas.. and the little locators for the perspex switch escutcheons. What made me think Robs dash now "might" be an early dash that has been modified was the raised bit mike mentioned... the late SII dash and S3 dash didnt have the cast in heater control labels and ridge, they have the perspex escutcheon, so no raised area.. but you are right.. the ignition switch moved on the later cars to next to the driver.

Think i will go back to my early stance..late dash.. and modified.

As a side note Al.. you ever found any decent late SII/S3 heater escutcheon bezels?

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Series 3. Heater control area is not raised. Ignition switch appears to be in the same place as my S3 also.

Mike

Last edited:

agmason54

Donation Time
Mk
I totally agree with you.I said I believe it is SV. I have never seen a vinyl covered SIII dash with the plastic heater control knobs. To me early is SI-II. I do have the plastic heater bezel you speak of. I let the other one go on a complete SIII rot bomb parts car with hardtop that I got for free...
later
Agm