• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cylinder #5 saga?kicking my butt.

Duke

Donation Time
How long will the coating last for?

Should last for years and help keep temps down in the engine compartment.

thats why I was suggesting the blue ceramic.. you would have a stock look and the proyection.. to me it looks like you are building a stock looking motor

My thinking is that the paint that was on the manifolds was quickly burnt off and the "natural" color of the manifold was left which is grey. Only the factory brand new engine should have any manifold paint on them.

mikephillips

Donation Time
My manifolds are in grey, I used the Eastwood stainless paint on them. Still looks like the day I did them over 10 years ago. Also did the down pipes and pipes to the chrome tips. They say it doesn't keep after it's opened so I had to do something with the rest of it...

Duke

Donation Time
Got the heads back from Paul yesterday. Got BUSY today with painting and install.

First the heads. The heads did not have any hardened exhaust valve seats. The intake seats were also sunk in badly due to several bad valve jobs.

To save the heads Paul installed hardened exhaust valve seats and larger Chevy valves. Intake - 1.72", exhaust 1.50". This brought the exhaust back up to the proper height and the intakes are now within .020 of the original height. With some investigation, it was determined that this engine suffered a head gasket failure and cylinder #7 had had water in it for some time. This was most likely the reason for the engine rebuild.

Here is the before and after of a combustion chamber. Note the multi angle valve seat work. This was accomplished by machining, NOT stones. The valves have the same multi angle machined surface.

OHTba.jpg

Here are some pictures of the head painted up and Paul’s handy work -

OHT1.JPG

The RA for the head surface is between 60-70. That is all that is needed with an iron heads on a iron block.

OHT2.JPG

OHT3.JPG

Duke

Donation Time
The engine is coming back together. Looking much better than what I started with -

OHT4.JPG

OHT5.JPG

OHT6.JPG

OHT7.JPG

Thanks for looking. Gonna take a break for now. More soon

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Duke,

Looking great and looks a lot better in your Tiger than on the kitchen bench ;) . What's the big idea with your engine builder putting Chevy valves in a Ford engine :eek: . At least you will soon be back on the road (as long as it is not too cold) :) .

Regards, Robin.

Duke

Donation Time
What's the big idea with your engine builder putting Chevy valves in a Ford engine

Chevy valves have the same stem diameter and length. There are a lot more sizes available too. That is why Chevy valves are used instead of a custom sized valve being made. You would be surprised how many Ford engines are running around with Chevy parts ;)

Oh yea, Chevy valves are dirt cheap too. :D

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Duke,

Looking great and not much more to go. I bet you can't wait to get out in it and no more fouling problems ;) .

Regards, Robin.

Duke

Donation Time
IT'SSSSSSSSS ALIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Needs some tweaking but is running like a scalded dog.

I took it to my burn out test area and it performed like never before. A nice throttle pedaling, tire screaming/smoking, ass sliding burn out was the result.

I like!

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
IT'SSSSSSSSS ALIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Needs some tweaking but is running like a scalded dog.

I took it to my burn out test area and it performed like never before. A nice throttle pedaling, tire screaming/smoking, ass sliding burn out was the result.

I like!

And now you are addicted forever.Lots of fun isn't it?

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Duke,

Great Job, the engine came up very nice. I'm sure you are glad this saga is over :) . Enjoy.

Regards, Robin.

Duke

Donation Time
tec.jpg

Will be getting the top of the air cleaner chromed next month.

Where does one get the wire hose clamps for the radiator and expansion tank hoses?

mikephillips

Donation Time
Reminds me of when I first got mine running with the new engine. It didn't run when I bought it, needed lots of work, so that first real run was worth all the effort.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Duke,

The chrome top will definitely finish the engine off nicely. Can you add a picture of your oil filter assembly? I would like to see how they look.

Thanks, Robin.

agmason

Donation Time
For wire clamps I would look at Moss Motors or one of the other Brit car suppliers. Ford clamps don't look like the Rootes clamps. NPD does have the yellow top coil and spark plug wires with the same markings as originally installed back in the 60's. You can also get the voltage regulator as supplied back in the day.