• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Customs Duty

V_Mad

Donation Time
Can anyone shed any light on the likely duties payable on shipping our historic car parts to USA from UK/Europe?

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I've never paid duty on parts ordered from the UK, whether new or used, so I'm not sure about your question. Perhaps if the amount crosses a certain threshold? :confused:

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Like Scott says-I have never paid duties either but I always have things shipped via Royal Mail from the UK. I have heard horror stories of folks using UPS for shipments from overseas-or even the USA to Canada and then having to pay customs duty and excise taxes of some crazy amounts and/or having to hire a broker to push the paperwork through. Eric

mikephillips

Donation Time
Normally my stuff has come straight to my door with no duties required. I have in the past had some stuff too big to go throught the mail that had to be shipped freight, on those I did duty, which I seem to recall was around 6-7%. Don't quote me on that amount though, it's been a long time since I had anything that required that.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Duty might be the least of your problems. In our post 9/11 society, Homeland Security has made it basically impossible for individual citizens to import items that are too heavy for the postal service to handle. I was looking into importing a transmission from England, and had several companies tell me it couldn't be done. Only business to businees shipping is allowed.
Make sure you check this out before you make any commitments!
Good Luck!

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
I have had several parts shipped from England without paying duties via Royal Mail.

I had a transmission shipped by UPS and did have to pay duties on that. I cannot remember what the percentage was.

You may also want to make sure the package is insured depending on the value. I shipped a transmission within the US which got lost because it fell out of the package. At least thats what UPS told me.