• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

CRAIGSLIST...1963 Sunbeam Alpine GT - $4500 (Grand Blanc, Michigan)

66Tiger

Donation Time
No association with this listing...but looks like a super deal to me...go see the pictures...

http://flint.craigslist.org/cto/1192205999.html

FROM THE AD:
"1963 Sunbeam Alpine GT. Removable hard top, knock-off wire wheels, British racing green. 4 speed/ 4 cylinder. Less than 5000 ever made in 1963. Runs and drives.

I got it out of the corner of my garage and started it (with a battery borrowed from my boat, the one in the car is dead). I drove it about 12 miles and gave it a bath. Attached are today's photographs."

FYI...Grand Blanc is in the Flint, Michigan area...40 miles or so north of Detroit. Also the plates do not appear to be Michigan plates, not sure where they are from.

Paul

wipeout

Donation Time
That looks to be the find of the year..I hope a club member up there gets it.

I looked at a 66 for two grand more that isnt in that good a shape (apparently).

:eek:

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Wipeout,

Why don´t you get this one. If the GT doesn´t matter to you, (no soft top) then it would be hard to find something better for that price.

Jose

That looks to be the find of the year..I hope a club member up there gets it.

I looked at a 66 for two grand more that isnt in that good a shape (apparently).

:eek:

wipeout

Donation Time
yeah....I'm almost there....I wish it were an ST though....down here in FL, thunderstorms in the summmer can put a damper on top down driving in a hurry...

I'll check with the family when they get back from the beach. I don't expect this car to "hang around" long.

:)

66Tiger

Donation Time
For anyone truly interested I would be willing to go look at it and give you my honest opinion.

I have done that for a couple people on this website, one person went ahead with the purchase...and sent me beer as a surprise!

Paul

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Owning A GT

Since I own a 64 GT for the last 6 years here are my ups and downs. It’s a convertible and if you love the wind in your hair and sunshine on your shoulders it’s an up. If your one of those people, like my husband, that does not like the sun in his eyes the wind blowing off his ball cap it’s a down. The hardtop makes the car a regular car might as well buy a 4 door sedan this works great for those un-sunshine people. My hardtop makes the car hot, noisy and fumy, and the seals muck with the paint on the car. The big down is that when that storm rolls in and you’re out driving the hard top of course is back at the house, find an overpass and wait it out with the other motorcycle riders, meet lots of different people that way. :D
You will become a weather watcher; learn how to decipher the forecast and understand what 20% chance of rain really means. Example today is one of those perfect days and yes Vicki the Alpine in honor of British Car Week was driven to work. Low of 57 degrees this morning, light jacket and heater on, going home 80 degrees and NO rain in the forecast, Wahoo! So sum it up with a GT you will have to pick the days and watch the skies if your driving it as a convertible, but with the hardtop it can be a daily driver all year around, just takes the fun out of it in my humble opinion to have the hardtop on.

Donna
:D

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
....down here in FL, thunderstorms in the summmer can put a damper on top down driving in a hurry...

Heck, down here in Florida, getting stopped at a traffic light in the summer can put a damper on top down driving in a hurry. You can only hope you find some shade when you stop. Contrary to popular belief, summer is not convertible weather in Florida.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Didn't the Alpine Guide published by the UK's SAOC have instructions on how to modify a convertible top frame to work with a GT?

wipeout

Donation Time
MikeH said:
Heck, down here in Florida, getting stopped at a traffic light in the summer can put a damper on top down driving in a hurry. You can only hope you find some shade when you stop. Contrary to popular belief, summer is not convertible weather in Florida.

LOL Mike....you probably like indoor baseball. :D Having worked outside as a bricklayer for twenty years in this sauna, sitting in the sunlight is just another chance to sweat off the last sixpack. Oh, I can see the reaction of sitting down in the black leather seat after an hour in the parking lot.

gah....the fever is brewing again...I... must... stop... thinking...

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
It can be rebuilt we have the technology

Didn't the Alpine Guide published by the UK's SAOC have instructions on how to modify a convertible top frame to work with a GT?

Yes, I have inquired into doing this but just have not found the convertible top frame and solved all the issues to make it work. The main problem is that this fix will be like the VW or PT Cruiser. This redesign Soft Top will just flop on the back pad since the GT does not have the hold to stow away the top. I think our boot is not big enough to but the modified soft top in so it would be just flopping on the pads while you’re driving down the road. You know what would be cool :cool: a bikini top like the CJ jeeps have just enough shade and protection from a downpour.

Donna

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Donna,
For the 'floppy flaps' problem, you might consider lining the paint-contact side of the flap with something like felt or cotton (cloth) baby diaper material, and adding magnets between the liner and the top when the liner is sewed to the convertible top. There are some very strong magnets out there nowadays. A row of them could easily hold the flap in place (but not completely rain-tight, of course). A few "keeper" magnets, or just a steel bar, sewn inside the top would provide a parking place for the flaps when it's time to remove it.

Now that I think about it, using closed-cell foam (neoprene mouse pads) as the padding, and several smaller magnets, could provide a waterproof seal on par with that of a standard top. (Which, I know, ain't sayin' much.)

Of course, the magnets won't hold the whole thing on. I've not looked at the recommendations mentioned in other posts, but there's probably a turnbuckle or over-center latch used at the door posts, and maybe a couple of 1/4" stainless steel bars that connect into the trunk hinge holes, like the hard top. A rachet strap to the shoulder harness mounting position would certainly hold it down.

Ken

65beam

Donation Time
GT

it would be easy to use the lift a dot studs across the back to fasten the top just like you do with the tonneau . then bolt the frame to the b post in a similar manner like the early hard top . i recently discussed this with a guy in the sunbeam restoration business.

steven

Donation Time
I fitted a softtop to my series V GT, when I checked it had the brackets at the rear side to take the swivle pins of the side covers. and the holes in the inner rear guards for the main rear cover. The softop fits as it should up and down, the series 4 covers fit well, no problems. So for a full conversion you need a full set of bows, including swivle units & screws and the set of aluminum strips that hold the rear of the softop to the body. A set of metal softop covers if you want that look or fabricate a back plate to use a soft cover over the softop ala the V series. All good.
Steve