• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cracked thermostat housing

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Does anyone have a method to get a cracked thermostat housing separated from the head? The problem I am having is that the studs have rusted and somewhere in the past someone used that horrible yellow gasket cement from 3M to glue the thing on.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I had one years ago that the thermo housing would not come off the head till the 4 studs were removed. There was electrolysis corrosion between the steel and the housing that really locked it on there. Had to ruin the studs to get them off...

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Try heating the aluminum . I've had success heating the aluminum part so that it expands away from the steel studs.
Yes, electrolysis happens there, especially when left for long periods of time. Be patient with it and spray liberally
with penetrating oil. If you have access to an oxy/acetylene torch that would be perfect but I've also had luck
with Map gas.

Good luck!
Steve

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Try heating the aluminum . I've had success heating the aluminum part so that it expands away from the steel studs.
Yes, electrolysis happens there, especially when left for long periods of time. Be patient with it and spray liberally
with penetrating oil. If you have access to an oxy/acetylene torch that would be perfect but I've also had luck
with Map gas.

Good luck!
Steve
Steve it never fails to amaze me some of the repairs PO’s and shops have done on our cars! I was given a pile of parts that a previous Alpine owner gave me. The head is in pretty good shape straight, flat with a recent valve job. It is a series 3 judging from the casting # . This will be a spare for my collection of parts. I think what I will do is get as much of the yellow glue off and then see if a little heat will allow the studs to come out. If that fails heat the area around each stud and use pb blaster to soak the studs. The thermostat housing is of no use since it is cracked.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
with Map gas.

Good luck!
Steve
I gently heated my t stat housing stood the head on end and flooded the studs with pb blaster I will do it again tomorrow.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
You don't have to be too gentle with it. It's broken, so you really can't brake it any more than it already is.
Get it really hot!
Cheers!
Steve