• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Correct S5 factory air cleaner color?

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a few original NOS Rootes air cleaners and looked at them today. They are an almost pale silver blue Hammerite color. All these years I thought they were supposed to be an off silver Hammerite color like the Tiger air cleaner assembly.
Any thoughts? thanks, EricDSC01951.JPG DSC01950.JPG DSC01952.JPG

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Eric, not really sure about it but would tend to think they came in silver hammerite finish. That pale blue always looked a bit weird to me...

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I had what I believe were an original set, and they were also a very pale blue-silver hammered finish.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
That was a discussion in the parts room at the united. I have one air Cleaner with the same color blue silver hammer tone. Tiger Tom looked up the serial number on line and found it to be a SV. I always thought they were silver ht. I have yet to see the blue on an Alpine.

65beam

Donation Time
I have a few original NOS Rootes air cleaners and looked at them today. They are an almost pale silver blue Hammerite color. All these years I thought they were supposed to be an off silver Hammerite color like the Tiger air cleaner assembly.
Any thoughts? thanks, EricView attachment 17143 View attachment 17144 View attachment 17145
Was a particular color specified when they were ordered for distribution to dealer parts room stock or was it left up to the vendor? Original factory flame traps installed on the production line were silver hammerite color but I have several NOS in Chrysler/Rootes boxes and they were out of dealer parts room stock. They're painted black but carry the correct part number. It may be that different filter vendors built the air cleaners to specs but used the paint that they used on filters for all the other marques.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a couple of pictures of air filters that may be original. I assume the filters on the assembly line came with the label. Maybe the replacement air filter parts were different than assembly line items, like Bob has seen with the flame traps.

Mike

Attachments

• EBay image 20150805.jpg
    EBay image 20150805.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 35
  • Original air filter.jpg
    Original air filter.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Scott Rodrigues

Donation Time
The Stromberg covers I had on the 1725 were pale silver-blue and came with the motor, like the OP pics. Got the motor from Dale back in 06 and had it rebuilt. Don't know if that helps, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

Stupid question/thought time: Didn't the XKE's use a triple Stromberg setup and could those silver covers have come from that? I have zero idea what other cars used them. If I'm sounding crazy again, absolutely please ignore or educate me. I haven't had enough coffee yet lol.

Last edited:

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Any thoughts? thanks, EricView attachment 17143 View attachment 17144 View attachment 17145
Eric I never saw factory air filters. 1971 I got my filters from Polk motors Chrysler Plymouth. They supplied me ones made by GUD

ALC 68A

Donation Time
The original AC labelled filters on my old Series IV (which had been fitted with Series V Strombergs) had a silver Hammerite finish, the same as the pictures on hartmandm's post. The filters in Eric's original post are in Rootes/Chrysler boxes, so are clearly later replacements and don't have the AC label. I don't recall seeing blue ones on a UK car, so perhaps Chrysler sourced them from a different manufacturer in the US for local spares supplies, to save imports.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
The Rootes label says Made in Great Britain. We may never know for sure! Thanks.