• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

"Correct" Jaeger Voltmeter

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
IMG_0244.JPG

Not being one who has ever worried about "correctness" I installed a Smiths battery condition gauge in Ol Blue many years ago. I subsequently installed them in several other cars as well. I like them better than the Jaeger copy - I have one of those in my Tiger. I like them better because they respond more quickly on startup and are easier for my old eyes to read. My 2 cents worth.....

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I like them better because they respond more quickly on startup...
I have noticed that, too. It takes quite a while (relative to other voltmeters) to register when the car starts. I have also noticed lately that it initially goes to a little over 13 volts and sits there for a while, then ultimately gets up to 14-ish, but I don't know if that is the gauge or my aging alternator.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I don't know if that is the gauge or my aging alternator.

I had the same issue with one of the mini Denso alternators. The gauge would go up very slowly and end up around 13 or so. ( Showed about 12.5 at the battery)
Changed the alternator to a Hitachi, and bang right up to 14!

Check your voltage at the battery. It should read 14 volts if you're actually charging.

Cheers!
Steve

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Steve, Is the Hitachi on a 4 cyl or V6 ?

What's the model/Part Number?

Is it a one wire ?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,
It's on both the V6 and the 4 cylinder. I don't recall the model # completely, it something like a 14326(or something like that)
but I got it on Ebay for $47 with free shipping. It was originally for a Datsun 620, which I believe
was a pick up. I'll look and see if I can get the part # as it has a label on it.

It's not a one wire, you can hook up the ignition light too!
Steve

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Great to know.... That is a number I am familiar with already, just don't yet own one of them.