• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Copper-nickel brake lines

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
You will love it, the big trick is a little grease on the dies and deburring everything first. I also use mine on fuel and vent lines to make a bubble ends.
I made four, I was not sure which one I would end up using.
i-WqzrJrM-XL.jpg

i-tdbWgpD-XL.jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Those look professional as usual from you:) Looking forward to making nice ones also.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
John, how short can they be made? Looks like a couple inches for one in the picture.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
...heat with a torch until it blues (annealing process), then quickly quench the piece in water. This softens the material...
Sorry, but that does nothing. Annealing? Look it up in a dictionary. Quenching in water or oil tempers the metal, so why would one do that?
Seriously, that material will not split at all. Just use it as is.
Another point here to make on SS lines. WHY? That's hot-rod junk! It is not needed at all....just a waste of time & money and looks crappy with all the kinks in the lines.
Jan

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sorry, but that does nothing. Annealing? Look it up in a dictionary. Quenching in water or oil tempers the metal, so why would one do that?
Another point here to make on SS lines. WHY? That's hot-rod junk! It is not needed at all....just a waste of time & money and looks crappy with all the kinks in the lines.
Jan

First, the annealing of copper and high copper alloys is not the same as the annealing of iron alloys. Copper anneals when heated and quenched. To quote the late Casey Stengel, "You could look it up."

Second, it's not your car, your money or your choice.

Third, there is a saying about opinions that is applicable.

Last edited:

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Jan
You should learn how to use Google. I paid $1.90 a foot for SS, Copper-Nickel was $2.20 a foot, making SS cheaper to buy and will last twice as long. I am not sure what you mean by "kinks" SS will not have any more bends then Copper-Nickel. The main reason I use SS lines is because I like the look and it is MY car. I have also had other car guys like it too :p so it's just not me.
RIMG0913-XL.jpg

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jan
Jan, it may crack due to its hardness...........from an expert mechanical engineer that deals with heat transfer and metallurgy

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
You guys are making this so overly complicated to make brake lines, for God's sake. I made many, many new brake lines over 50 years and never had to anneal them.
I really find it amazing how & what you people do the things you do.
Jan

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've seen at least two references to the limited lifetime of copper-nickle brake lines. What is the expected life of the material in the salty automotive environment?
BTW, it is not necessary to quench copper when annealing. The heat does the trick, quenching only speeds up the process.
Bill

howehap

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here is a link to Copper-Nickel automotive brake line. It discusses how it is much more corrosion resistance and it is used by many high end auto manufactures (Germany, Sweden), because of it's long life and corrosion resistance. The article also states that it is manufactured and sold in the annealed condition. I have used it and can attest that it is much easier to work with than steel tubing, it is soft, flares easily, and much less likely to kink.
https://www.copper.org/applications/automotive/brake-tube/brake.html

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, the stuff is a marvel to work with, but a little strange. In my experience it is very easily kinked when bending using tubing benders. Hand forming is easy and gives excellent results. I use wrench sockets as a form when bending the tubing. After the first use, I swore that I'd never buy another piece of steel tubing.

Bill

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Holy mackerel, $2.20 a foot for copper nickel brake line? I paid less than $20 for a 25 foot roll. Terrific to work with and very resistant to corrosion. But as they say - whatever works for you.