• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cooling/hose advice

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi all,
A question about the water outlet at the rear of my head.
I have a 1724 block, but with the original SII head. The head has a hose fitting at the rear for manifold/heater which for a while has been used to plumb in a water-oil cooler that sat under the oil filter.

Ok, so I don't have/need/want a heater, I'm now using an intake manifold with no hose connections, and I'm replacing my old water-oil cooler with a proper oil cooler up front. Hence I no longer "need" to connect up to the rear head hose fitting, or the corresponding fitting on the water pump.

I'd prefer to simply block them both off and eliminate the need for another hose, but I know there's some debate over the value of using a rear head hose connection to aid cooling of no. 4. So i could just connect a hose directly between the pump and the head, routed above the intake manifold.

I should be able to work this out for myself, but can a direct water pump to rear head connection impact on the operation/value of the thermostat ?

Comments welcome!

mikephillips

Donation Time
The series V with the strombergs didn't use the manifold heating and the rear outlet was eith plugged, or in later production not even drilled. So while you might get a local hot spot it doesn't seem like there's enough difference overall to worry about. What I'd suggest is blocking it off and using one of those thermal readers to see if it really needs to change after that.