• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Coolant leak

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Went out to the Alpine and BMW this morning to give them some attention and noticed a coolant leak coming from (what appeared to be) the thermostat area. :eek: It was dry but there was some coolant from the joint of the lower radiator and the hose. I put 50/50 in the system a few months ago and then ran the car to mix it up. Is this typical cold weather behavior?

I pulled the radiator cap off and everything there was liquid. I Red Tagged the steering wheel so I wouldn't forget to look closer at it when it isn't 20 degrees in the garage....

I'm missing Arizona......

Jim E

Donation Time
On my car the bottom hose is so short and such a pain to get on not to mention it is not exactly the right shape so I put the black gasket goop all over the water necks and inside the hose. Actually I do this for all the coolant hoses it makes for a good seal.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

If all of your hose clamps are tight and your water hoses are in good order, they should not leak. Check your hose clamps are in good order, inspecting the screw and thread of the clamps and squeeze the hose to see if you have any leaks. It does'nt sound like your leak is very bad though.

Regards, Robin.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nick, be sure the clamps are located over the metal stubs. Hoses are flexible enough that if the clamp is positioned just off the outlets, they will still seal pretty good. Don't ask how I know. Let it suffice to say I spent $200 learning that lesson.

Bill

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for everyone's response. No it isn't a great deal of leakage but I had not seen anything leak the week after I last drove it. When it warms up, I'll get under it and check for a crack or drain everything again and seal it up as recommended.

The match up between the radiator and the engine has never been a good one. I'm thinking of having a an aluminum one made up with the fitting where I request it. Any suggestions?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

If you have a radiator done, or if you decide to fix the one you have, have the shop put the outlet nipple out the bottom of the tank on the drivers side. It should be a 90 degree elbow, with the lower leg pointing toward the center of the radiator, and slightly back toward the engine, about 5 degrees. Make sure that the lower leg isn't over 1.5 inches long, or it will pass the water inlet on the engine, and you will play heck trying to put a hose on it that won't kink. If you do it this way, it will be way easier to find a pre formed hose, that you can trim to fit, and it will be worlds easier to install too.

Jose:)

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Oh-So that's it..

Hi Nick,

If you have a radiator done, or if you decide to fix the one you have, have the shop put the outlet nipple out the bottom of the tank on the drivers side. It should be a 90 degree elbow, with the lower leg pointing toward the center of the radiator, and slightly back toward the engine, about 5 degrees. Make sure that the lower leg isn't over 1.5 inches long, or it will pass the water inlet on the engine, and you will play heck trying to put a hose on it that won't kink. If you do it this way, it will be way easier to find a pre formed hose, that you can trim to fit, and it will be worlds easier to install too.

Jose:)

Ok...So it's not supposed to look like the The Gordian Knot? ;)

Thanks

bluoval

Donation Time
series 6 thanks , the info being put out in reguards to the rad outlet is good info i did not have .also saw a post in the past as to air pockets gathering at the top of the v6 preventing the coolant from completely filling the block some one put a small valve aroung the gooseneck .. would like more info as to this procedure .... ok guys jump in thanks earl (bluoval)