• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Converting from Wires

gordonra

Donation Time
I'm considering converting from wire wheels to something more modern.

My series V has splines now, but what components are necessary to go to bolt on wheels? (besides the wheels themselves)

Thanks to all...

Rich

mikephillips

Donation Time
4 bolt on hubs, new front wheel bearings and grease seals, and the wheels and lug nuts of your choice should do it. The rest should be the same for both type wheels and only need replacing if worn out.

gordonra

Donation Time
Thanks Mike,

Does anyone know where to find the hubs? Are they from old Alpines, or are there other sources? I did didn't see any in the SS catalog or Classic, and VB seemed to only have splines.

Rich

alpine_64

Donation Time
Rich,

The front hubs are the same across all series, but you need series V specific rear hubs as the axel size is different. Also you need dust covers for the front wheel bearings.

65beam

Donation Time
steel wheels

call rick at sunbeam specialties. 408-371-1642. he has a lot of used stuff and probably can sell you what you need

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Steel Wheels

Rich,
I have bolt on hubs from one of the seies 5's I parted last year. PM me if you're interested. I have the complete set.
Cheers!
Steve

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Rich,
I have bolt on hubs from one of the seies 5's I parted last year. PM me if you're interested. I have the complete set.
Cheers!
Steve

mikephillips

Donation Time
To be sure which rear axle you have measure the hole in the wire wheel hub at the back. If it's 29mm you need the early rears, if it's 30mm you want the later ones. It's just a way to be sure someone hasn't switched rears and used an earlier one at some point in the car's life.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
If your splined hubs are in good shape I'm interested , might help defray the cost of changing over.

Tom J

Beamin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rich-

A word of caution when completing the switch. Make sure you can still thread the nut onto the end of the axle shaft before you reassemble everything.

It can take a lot of pressure to get the old hubs off. The guy at my machine shop said that on one, it took upwards of 18 tons...said it sounded like a cannon when it finally let loose. When I got the shafts back, I swapped over all the components and bolted everything up onto the car. Then I attempted to install the axle shaft nuts...no luck. After much head scratching, I took out a pair of calipers and started taking some measurements. As near as we can figure, all the force required to separate the axle from the old hub slightly bulged the first 3/8" or so of the shaft, which made it too large for the nut. So now I've got to pull everything out and take the shafts back to the shop to have the threads recut.

In fact, I've got a spare shaft where it looks like to remedy this problem, someone cut off the first 1/2" of the threaded shaft. Only problem now is that there are only enough threads left over to catch about half the nut.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Rich-

A word of caution when completing the switch. Make sure you can still thread the nut onto the end of the axle shaft before you reassemble everything.

It can take a lot of pressure to get the old hubs off. The guy at my machine shop said that on one, it took upwards of 18 tons...said it sounded like a cannon when it finally let loose. When I got the shafts back, I swapped over all the components and bolted everything up onto the car. Then I attempted to install the axle shaft nuts...no luck. After much head scratching, I took out a pair of calipers and started taking some measurements. As near as we can figure, all the force required to separate the axle from the old hub slightly bulged the first 3/8" or so of the shaft, which made it too large for the nut. So now I've got to pull everything out and take the shafts back to the shop to have the threads recut.

In fact, I've got a spare shaft where it looks like to remedy this problem, someone cut off the first 1/2" of the threaded shaft. Only problem now is that there are only enough threads left over to catch about half the nut.
That's why, before you use a hub puller on your spindle, you should take the spindle nut and screw it onto the spindle threads, with the castelated part facing in, so that the flat part of the nut is flush with the end of the spindle. With the nut on that way, it is impossible for the threaded part to swell with all the pressure you will be exerting on it to remove the hub.

Jose:)