• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Converting a clock

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Anyone have recommendations as to which available clock's guts is used to convert a Smith's clock?:confused:

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

If you purchase a positive earth clock, they can be converted to negative earth. I looked into the cost to convert on last year which would have cost approximately AUS$100. There have also been a few conversions done using battery operated clocks (separate from car battery) here in Australia as well but I don't know what internals they used.

Regards, Robin.

AlpineII

Donation Time
Regarding positive versus negative earth clocks. I have seen this subject discussed several times and wonder what I am missing. Since the dash is bakelite and doesn't conduct electricity, isn't it just a matter of ensuring that the polarity of the wires attaching the clock are correct? IE: If you are changing from positive to negative earth, just reverse the two wires? Or I have I really just missed something?

Nickodell

Donation Time
Clock light grounds through case - turn on the lights fry the clock.Bob

That would only apply if the clock electrical operating circuit grounds through the case also. I haven't opened the Smith's clock of the era up, but if, as I suspect, it is instead powered by two wires insulated from the case then you would have no trouble reversing them to change polarity. In that case [neat pun, huh:) ] it doesn't matter what wires go to the light, as there would be no connection between them.

If, however, the clock electrical ground return is through the case, you're S.O.L., unless you can work out some way to cover the case with an insulating outer layer and then simply reverse hot and ground wires. You would need to insulate the case because it would then be electrically hot, and any metal touching it and a grounded part would cause a short.

burgy711

Donation Time
I have a positive ground clock in my 66 negative ground Tiger. I insulated the light from the body of the clock and ground the light separately from the clock body..... Thus, I can reverse the clock wiring to have the clock operational and still use the panel lights off the negative wire harness. It works...... now when I find the right negative ground clock I'll take the positive one out of the Tiger and put it in the positive ground Alpine.

lemansvk

Donation Time
Anyone have recommendations as to which available clock's guts is used to convert a Smith's clock?:confused:
The bloke who did mine uses most of the guts, he just bypasses or removes the points which are what stops these clocks. He then attaches a (smaller than 1 inch) "black box" (it's actually white) which takes over that function.

As I said in a previous post - cost A$100, 4 years since it was done, battery disconnected/reconnected every time I drive the car (that's a real killer of the points) and the clock starts and keeps perfect time everytime. My friend with the Super Snipe - 6 years and still perfect

Cheers, Vic