• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

convertible with fins

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Pretty solid looking car. Is that really Armorall on the wheels? That must the billionith old Rootes car with 60 some thousand miles showing on it. Did any of those speedometers last for 70,000 miles?

Also, what's with the shift pattern? Looks like 4th (is it fourth? Can't tell for sure) is up from first. Is that wierd or what?

Bill

skywords

Donation Time
No rust holes? I'll bet I can find some. Two hundred and fifty dollar document fee if outside of the Peoples Republic of Califruitia? Either you own the damn thing or you don't! The car looks like a good project. Title is pretty Fuzzy. I hate people that sell things like this with ghost leans etc..

Rick

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rick, I don't think I'd bet there are any rust holes in this car.

I don't know anything about Rapiers, but the usual Alpine rust spots seem clean. I know you can't see them all, but the ones you can see are not very rusty or rust free. In addition, the battery holder is only lightly rusted. When is the last time you saw that on a 47 year old car?

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
After another look, it appears there are two (2) reverse gears. Certainly don't see that everyday on something with less than a 50,000 pound GVW. Was that standard in the Rapier?

Reserve is 2400 bucks. WooHoo!

Bill

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I think the 2nd reverse gear is actually "EL" for Extra Low (forward). I know Huskys also had EL. Strictly for stump-pulling.

$2400 reserve?!? Good luck!!

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,

The gearshift pattern is the same as the Alpine non-synchro trans four speed. It is just labeled differently.

First is ........ "EL" for EMERGENCY LOW ( and therefore not needed for normal use )

Second is .... "1"

Third is ....... "2"

High is ........ "3"

Only one reverse @ left and down.

The standard Rapier overdrive is a .75 instead of the Alpine's .80 ratio (approx. I think - at least in the early models )

This Rapier should have a 1494 engine with a cast iron head and twin Zenith d/d carbs each with a 26 mm venturi, drum brakes front and rear, and probably a 4.78:1 ( or possibly 4.55 ) rear axle ratio.

As far as rust issues are concerned, the Rapier would be exactly the same as an Alpine because they are the same body family design - the AUDAX range. In fact it is actually the other way around because the Rapier design predates the Alpine by several years.

HTH,

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, someone ponied up the $2400 bid. Sometimes such bids seem outragious. But if a guy wants one of these and can't find a sound body, the $2400 is a steal when compared to reworking a rusty shell that you got for a "reasonable" $500 .

Bill