• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

conversions

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
OK,OK.
Here I sit on this very cold day (-24F) and I find myself wondering about my 62. Previously it was a V6 conversion done 25 years ago.Now it has the 302.
Now its not a Tiger so I presume I will still post under modified heading.
I'm also not claiming the Alger or Tiger name.It is and is badged an Alpine GT.
Almost finished so will get some pics soon.Got the seats back last week.They are 1974 Mustang which I used when I did the car.The upholster completly rebuilt them as to new.Well now I had to lower the mounting rails as I found out the seats were higher than before.I guess being a bit solid had really made them low over the years.
Yes and so much for resolutions to lose weight.

britbeam

Donation Time
Chuck look forward to seeing your pics of the Alpine Mod. Oh its warm here in Georgia and I feel a top down drive coming on tomorrow.Couldnt help myself.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Nickodell

Donation Time
Meanwhile, at Niagara Falls:
NiagaraM.jpg

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Chuck,

I can't even imagine how -24 degrees F would feel. :eek: The worst we would get where I live would be about 5-10 degress C. Anyhow, I would love to see some more photo's of your little green machine.

Regards, Robin.

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
I had the "Opportunity" to deploy to Fairbanks Alaska one Winter. Our jets (RF4-C) had to sit outside. Minus 48 ambient w/ greater than minus 60 wind chill. Had be VERY carfeull cycling any hydraulics until things warmed up. Oil pressures at the maximum on the start. On the first rotation out of the chocks, the rt main landing gear tire broke the bead and went flat immediately. The next jet made it to the first turn on the taxi way before it lost a tire from the bead. We aborted the rest of the 4 ship. As a maintence supervisor, I could only have my folks outside for 15 minutes and had to bring them inside for 30. Tools I've never seen break in 32 years of working on and around airplanes snapped. When we came home to Boise, it was 40 degrees. An increase of over 100 degrees. T-shirt weather.

Another 3 month deployment a couple years ago to McMurdo Station , Antarctica brought similar challenges w/ the LC-130s (equiped with skis). On a trip to the South Pole, I stepped off the airplane and my sunglasses fogged up. I went to wipe them off and they were frozen. Minus 51 ambient that day and bright and sunny. The -130s makes contrails at idle as it sat during offload. Elevation is over 9000 there. All you see is the front half of the aircraft. The cargo guys in the back are shrouded in fog generated by the heat from the engines. Absolutely awesome experience. Cold or not, I'd go back tomorrow.

miket

Donation Time
I can remember getting in to my Tiger when it was -30. The seat was like a brick. But it started right up. The second winter I had a hard top. What a difference.
Mike

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I can remember getting in to my Tiger when it was -30. The seat was like a brick. But it started right up. The second winter I had a hard top. What a difference.
Mike

I drove the Alpine (stock) many years a go at -50F. It was plugged
( we have block heaters) in as well as the 56 Mercury.The merc didn't start but the Alpine did.The rad was completly blocked to make heat.Yes we had a hard top.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Robin, as the temperature starts to drop below zero F, it seems the humidity plummets. The result is a very sharp, biting cold. If you get a chance, take a tour through a walk in freezer. Very similar.

mike_also

Diamond Level Sponsor
This week the temps are mild. Last week, Anchorage high -5F, low -20F. Not bad, state's low, -51F. Can't start the diesel truck unless I remember to put in the anti-gelling compound.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I had the "Opportunity" to deploy to Fairbanks Alaska one Winter. Our jets (RF4-C) had to sit outside. Minus 48 ambient w/ greater than minus 60 wind chill. Had be VERY carfeull cycling any hydraulics until things warmed up. Oil pressures at the maximum on the start. On the first rotation out of the chocks, the rt main landing gear tire broke the bead and went flat immediately. The next jet made it to the first turn on the taxi way before it lost a tire from the bead. We aborted the rest of the 4 ship. As a maintence supervisor, I could only have my folks outside for 15 minutes and had to bring them inside for 30. Tools I've never seen break in 32 years of working on and around airplanes snapped. When we came home to Boise, it was 40 degrees. An increase of over 100 degrees. T-shirt weather.

From 1965-1967 I lived in Eielson AFB, 25 miles south of Fairbanks. I had a 1965 Chevelle Super Sport at the time. There was no indoor or garage parking - only electric tank heaters to keep things warm enough to start when it was 40 below. Ahh, memories!

britbeam

Donation Time
Hey Chuck we did get that top down ride in yesterday. We went to check out a Series 2 Alpine. Pretty much a basket case with a rebuilt engine sitting on the engine stand. Appears to be a white Alpine S2 , wire wheels etc.Body looked very good. anyway my friend and I had a good ride with a little V6 time at freeway speed. Now the rain is coming. You just have to seize the moments as they come in the winter.
Dwain V6 Krazy

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Jose. Thanks for asking. All the work for the conversion is finished, except for changing the radiator in/outlets and making it a three core. But, but I'm up to my shoulders in rust repair. I had two fist size holes in the drivers side foot well, to start with. Yesterday, I started the second of the four floor panels I have to replace. And then there is the battery box that is more air than metal. This is a set back both in time and money, of course. I'm off to the auto body parts store this morning to get another spot weld cutter. At least my bride is patient with all this.

The hard part is letting my job get in the way of my project.

Hope all is well with you.

skywords

Donation Time
And another horrible sunny shirt sleeve garage door open kinda day here in Marana AZ. The propane salesman is on food stamps. As a comic would say don't send em propane send luggage send U Hauls. All kidding aside we pay for this in the summer but for now I will glote.

Rick

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I think the high temp in Provo for the past 5 days is 18F. Can't go work on my car unless it is about 30. My little heater takes the chill off at 30 but not 12, which is were the temp is by the time I get off work and go to my shop.

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
9 degrees here this morning and just above freezing in the shop. The propane heater makes it liveable and I depend on the halogen lights to add a little more heat. At least the beer fridge doesn't have to work hard. After a few Coronas, I can work in shirt sleeves too, just not very productive.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Twenty degrees here this morning, not that I care. I insulated the basement walls last summer, pushed the Alpine in last fall. Now I can work in real comfort. Five degrees cooler than the upstairs temperature.

Bill

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I actually went to my shop tonight and it was quite comfortable. Outside temp 12F. So now I know I can work in the shop when cold. I have a natural Gas heater, but I don't like to run it on high very long I feel like I get some fumes. So I open the door a crack all the time.