• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Conversion and air cleaners?

chris

Donation Time
For the first time in years when someone asks me when the conversion will be done, I don't have to say," I'm hoping for sometime next spring." I can now says it will be done within a few weeks.:D So now I'm looking for the finishing touches and the one that came to mind today was the air cleaner.

I've seen on several hot rod TV shows where they've been getting away from the old round air cleaner and going for clod air from outside the engine compartment. I've even seen a photo of an older V6 conversion done this way. So my question is ,what are the advantages and disadvantages of doing this kind of setup? What is the horse power again and is it worth the cost?

I'd also like to know what other people are using for air cleaners. 10", 14" round or some other style? With the limited space under the hood, I can't imagine a lot of choices

Chris

alpine_64

Donation Time
chris,

The setups with snorkles to the outside allow the filters to draw in colder air than available in the engine bay, allowing the carbs to run much better, how effective this is depends on what kind of filter and how well the air flows along the snorkle to the carb.

As for setups, best one i have seen on the board was late year i think.. A K&N setup with a drop base that allowed a nice deep filter and had the top with a filter in it too.. would breathe quite well you would assume.

V_Mad

Donation Time
......So my question is ,what are the advantages and disadvantages of doing this kind of setup? What is the horse power again and is it worth the cost?

I'd also like to know what other people are using for air cleaners. 10", 14" round or some other style? With the limited space under the hood, I can't imagine a lot of choices Chris

Hi Chris. Congrats on getting so near to finishing your conversion. I know you will love the V6 car, they are superb!

The advantage of a cold air intake system is that you can potentially get an increase in power from your engine. I say potentially, as that depends how well it is done. If the intake tube and filter combination has minimal flow restriction, and you set up your carb jets to match the new arrangement (needs to be slightly less fuel than before) then you should get a few more HP. But I dont believe the claims of HP increase of some companies on their products.

But I have not bothered on mine as the V6 has plenty of punch already, and I like the uncluttered look of a nice chrome air cleaner in the engine bay without all the tubes etc. Thats one reason I decided not to fit the fuel injection which most of these engines came with in the UK.

There are other ways of keeping the intake air cooler, such as venting the bonnet (hood) with an air scoop or fit the Tiger LAT hood. Thats a good move as it also helps to reduce any problems with fuel vapour lock.