• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Complete brake system overhaul - on a budget!

L

liveforeverZ

I'm doing a complete overhaul, for a series V, on a stringent budget. I'm definitely doing away with the servo. I have been reading alot on here about replacing the old stock MC with a Wilwood 260-6088. I know alot of people have done it, but no one seems to have described how it is done. Is it a straight swap out, or will it need some modifications? Does it interfere with anything near it, clutch Mc, etc? From what I can tell, it looks almost identical in size and positioning, other than it being a .7 bore. The brakes in it now are useless - go right to the floor. Rather than spend the time repairing the old MC and servo - I'd rather go this route. Partly because I cannot afford the rebuild route.

howard

Donation Time
I'm not familiar with the Wilwood setup. But if the only major modifications are removing the servo and replacing the MC why not call Doug at Tiger Auto and pick up the MC that fits without a lot of headaches? I did this swap on my SIV and it works great. Also didn't require a degree in engineering (thank goodness).

Jim E

Donation Time
For a master cylinder on the cheap do a search on ebay using the words "NABCO, or Datsun master look for a .700 bore and swap it on the car these are pretty cheap and a straight forward change out. The only catch is the threads are metric so you need to change the fitting or get a metric to SAE adaptor. I am talking a single circuit M/C here if you want a dual it is still cheap and still the same search just you need to replace lines and rout things but on the cheap a NABCO is the way to go, IMO.

Oh figure to pay around $15-25 for one...plus shipping, heck think I have a single circuit .700 for that sort of coin

Jim E

Donation Time
I have used the 260-6579 on my old SV with dual 40 DCOEs because it is short and will just clear the back carb with the stock spacer removed. This M/C ended up on the Tedder race car. Have used a plastic bodied version of the 260-6764 on a stock engine car that has a single down draft weber.

L

liveforeverZ

Just got off the phone with Wilwood. They said the 260-6579 should be a perfect fit and is basically the girling replacement depending on the bore/stroke size you have. You can get it for about $49 from summit and elsewhere. The .700 should make up for the pressure I'm gonna lose when I remove the servo. I just haven't made up my mind yet whether I should do the single or dual. I'd like to have a safety if the fronts let go, I'm just not sure how hard it would be to install a dual and make everything work.

Jim E

Donation Time
The only issue with any M/C that is not the stock replacement unit is the rod that pushes on the M/C piston. The Wilwood units I have used required some tinkering with the stock rod to get it all to fit up. this is typically a few minutes of careful grinding on the captured washer on the stock rod to get it to fit the aftermarket M/C. Basically you reduce the diameter of the captrued washer until it will fit in the aftermarket M/C. all this sounds harder than it is really very simple once you have it in hand and see what the issues are.

Jim E

Donation Time
I have used a 3/4 bore and a 7/8 bore with a booster, not a stock booster but the VB unit and like the feel of the brakes. The VB unit I have used has a lesser ratio than the stock booster, do not recall the exact ratios but think stock is 2 point somthing to one and the VB is 1.8 or so to one and I could be a way off also not sure the current VB unit is the same ratio as I have used therefore you bet your money and... but IMO it will work fine. I think it feels OK and am running one on my V6 car with a stock bore M/C and think it stops a ton, how you will feel about it may be different

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
I ordered the 260-6579 today. I have an old cylinder and rod. I come up w/ something and let you all know how it turned out. I think I'll try it w/ the servo first. Do I need a new brake line or will the threads match up?

L

liveforeverZ

You should be fine thread wise, unless you have metric threads on there. I know mine has the sae threads.

65beam

Donation Time
brake master

new girling masters are available from PEGASUS in 5/8,.700,& 3/4 bore. they do not come with the fluid reservoir . 800 688 6946 is their phone number. the .700 is part number 3502-70 . they also carry parts for weber 32/36 carbs .

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
Okay I have the Wilwood 260-6579 w/ the rod setup to fit my SIII Alpine. Now I find the threads from the old brake line don't match up. The Wilwood is 3/8 34 thread (I believe). Does anyone know what the Girling is? Thanks

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
Never mind on the question. I found a length of brake line that had the same size fittings at both ends which by chance fit both the new master and the servo. I can't remember when or why I bought it but I am glad I did.

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
Finished the wilwood master brake install this afternoon. The difference is quite noticeable. The pedal is much firmer and the stopping is much improved. Of course I have only driven it once. I drove to an empty parking lot and hit the brake hard a few times. The problem is that the back right wheel locked up before the others. I am sure that has nothing to do with the master cylinder.