• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Competition Prep

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Autocrossing is probably more stressful on wires , hence around 1964 when everyone who was serious started to run alloy wheels... heck rootes wouldnt even fit wires to the tiger and stock it wasnt that powerful.
I think they tried at the start and ripped the wheels just about off at the rear end.
I have a hard luck trophy 9 First showing the Lemans at niagra falls)that was made with the Tiger mag and it was broke as well.Just the hub basically.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, one thing at a time

Since this all has to be budgeted out, I think I will start with shocks and roll bar with the urethane bushings. While at it, check all the other bushings to make sure they aren't perished. I also have to get some performance out of the engine. Compression is good, cannot find any leaks around the carbs but the back one wants to run richer than the front so something is amiss there. Need to check the distributer to make sure that it is not wobbling and is advancing right. My winter chores.

mike_also

Diamond Level Sponsor
Working a corner at Steamboat Springs vintage race about ten years ago, I watched an AC Bristol deflect the bejeezes out of his wire wheels. Enough to convince me to consider a more solid wheel especially when solidifying suspension pick-up points. My 2 cents.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Something to think about

Working a corner at Steamboat Springs vintage race about ten years ago, I watched an AC Bristol deflect the bejeezes out of his wire wheels. Enough to convince me to consider a more solid wheel especially when solidifying suspension pick-up points. My 2 cents.

An Allard tossed his left rear wheel at my station 2 years ago, it took a left turn about 5 feet from the station, that'll refocus your tired eyes!!! Don't remember getting on the deck that fast since someone yelled, "Incoming!" It was a beautifully made aluminum job, center just pulled out. Right now it's raining so I am in my, nuts, I'll take care of it later mode!!

cdk84

Donation Time
I know this is now an out-of-date thread, but I need to weigh in.
I'm somewhat surprised to see that Nobody spoke [heh heh] explicitly to the two most important issues relative to wire wheels, Alpines and performance vs race applications.

First, there were three levels of spoking available for 13" wire wheels. I learned about this from a friend who was a factory driver for Alfa Romeo. In sizing up the competition, he and his brother saw a Harrington at an SCCA race in the 60s. One brother asked the other how many spokes the wire wheels had. The answer was 48, and the brothers knew that the car would not finish the race, which proved correct --due to spoke failure. ( otherwise the Harrington had been very competitive )

Today 48, 64 and 72 spoke wire wheels are available ( wheels with more than 48 spokes were available in period, too ) now and if you wish to run wires, it's worth up-rating the spoke spec. [yes, I AM that mean]

Also today, heavy duty spec spokes [told you] are optional if you have a pair of wheels built by Dayton Wire Wheel, or its British counterpart Wire Wheel Services (WWS). There is, as always, a weight penalty, but to win a race you have to finish...

The late Carl Christiansen, a good friend and pioneer of Alpine vintage racing in the modern era, began racing with wire wheels. He then switched to Mini Lite replicas, claiming to save 75 pounds of rotating weight. In my out spoke-n opinion, NOTHING could possibly compensate for being able to shed 75 pounds of weight, let alone Rotating Weight, on a race car. As Alpines were driven and raced with Mini Lites in the late 60s, they are "period correct", at least on the later Series Alpines.

The alloy casting technology required for the stresses of racing wheels wasn't widely available in the early 60's, so for early Series Alpines, an argument could be made that Mini Lites are not appropriate. Check your sanctioning body's rule book or talk with a club scrutineer; things vary from one group to another, and sometimes from one tech inspector to another. As always, if you can provide either printed or photographic evidence of period use, you will be able to make a stronger case for your car's setup.

Hope this has been helpful. There are a lot of options available, but remember, as someone correctly observed, there is a very limited selection of competition rubber in the 13" wheel size today. Unless you run with a vintage-focussed group and select Dunlop 13" hard bias ply tires, you may be hard pressed to find a tire you like. And your sanctioning group may not allow slicks; VSCCA actively discourages them, for example. This, too, can prove to be somewhat event dependent.

65beam

Donation Time
David,
Here's a photo of Carl's car at the Mid Ohio SVRA meet a couple years ago and a photo of Brad Babb's car. Notice the wheels on both cars. Carl's car was a series 3 but he added a later rear clip. Will you be in Wisconsin?109_0446.JPG 109_0447.JPG

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Wow, that post was a while ago! I borrowed and raced for a short period of time an S2 (I think, it had the 1494 mill), close to that color. Brought back good memories. Just as a 10 year update, I stayed stock; other life stuff interfered. As the the wire wheels, I am in the early process of accumulating the parts to change my SV out to solid wheels. The hubs on mine are shot and have taken the splines on the wheels with them (or the other way around). Lots of slapping and thunking going on. Took 5 years and a complete rebush to sort the noise out but did. (yes, I am that slow...!)