• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cold Alpine

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I haven't been able to investigate too close but my V6 spring a leak around the water pump. It's been in the teens at night here in Reno. Manyfords suggested that it might be the seal. Freeze plugs are fine but I'm interested to ask if 1-Anyone else ever experience this, 2-What can I do to prevent this again.

I'm assuming I'll have to replace the water pump when it warms up.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nick, the only way to prevent water pump seals from going south is to not buy the ones with bad seals. Sort of like Will Rogers, who said not to buy a stock if it does not go up in value. Maybe, just maybe, if you take the old pump to a local rebuilder, he will put a high quality seal in it. Buying one already rebuilt is dicey, especially if it is an Autozone brand. Have never heard anyone say anything nice about their rebuilds.

Bill

britbeam

Donation Time
I haven't been able to investigate too close but my V6 spring a leak around the water pump. It's been in the teens at night here in Reno. Manyfords suggested that it might be the seal. Freeze plugs are fine but I'm interested to ask if 1-Anyone else ever experience this, 2-What can I do to prevent this again.

I'm assuming I'll have to replace the water pump when it warms up.

Seals do get hard at colder temps.Is it leaking at the weep hole in the housing or at the mounting gasket? Assuming you had antifreeze which Im sure you do I believe you can rule out the housing being cracked. I think if your storing your Alpine inside youve probably done all you can. Weve been in the teens recently and I havent had this happen on the Alpine. I have purchased water pumps that as Bill mentioned were just bad rebuilds. The auto parts store he mentioned I no longer deal with just because they have sorry rebuilds especially electrical parts.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Yup. Last year I did a 50/50 mix and had no issues. This year is considerably colder. I suppose the only other thing I might have done is place some kind of heating element (light bulb?) in the engine area.

Nevada is having a cold spell, but I can't believe it doesn't get worse annually elsewhere. What do our fellow Darksiders do up north and back east? Some gas engines have block heaters, like diesels. Anything like that available for the 2.8?

I've reached down and it appears to be coming from the weep hole but I can't be sure. This is the water pump that I got with the car so I can assume it's old. I'll pull it out in Spring and in the meantime start looking for a rebuilder or a "good" reman.

Since I have time, I'm not opposed to sending one of the spares I have somewhere to get it done right. Any recommendations as to who I might send one to for a proper rebuild or reman with core exchange?

As ususual, thank you for your help...

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I use 200W magnetic 'block' heaters on several garage items. One on the Alpine block (as 'insurance'), one on the snowblower (stored outside/manual start), and one on the lathe and two on the mill. The ones on the cast iron tools warm them up enough that they aren't the coldest thing in the room when the humidity shoots up (a common winter occurance in Ohio). Condensation then forms on other things than those items, and it really keeps surface rust at bay. The heaters were about 35 bucks at Tractor Supply. I need to pick up some thermostat controlled outlets so they don't run all the time, though!

Heater on stock 1725 Alpine fits nicely below the manifolds, behind the alternator.
(Remove before driving!) There might not be as much wiggle room in a V6 engine bay, though. I usually keep a smart charger on the battery when it's cold, too... just in case it gets warm enough for a drive!

Ken

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nick, your talking like you suspect the cold weather caused the pump leak. No. I've seen temperatures down to -35 (no garage) and it does not cause failed water pumps. Just a little difficult to start.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

About the only weak point in these engines, is the early water pump. They have only one support bearing, which doesn't last as long as other water pumps. If the fan belt is too tight, or you regularly spin the engine to 7K, the pump will go bad before too long. I used to change them about one a year. Of course I drove the pants off of them. The later enginres , (Ranger/Bronco II), have two bearings, so the shaft is more stable. Unfortunately, it also makes the engine longer, which the Alpine engine bay doesn't accommodate well. The movement of the shaft, can cause leaking seals and bearings going bad. How many miles does your water pump have on it? If it has 40K, it has lived about as long as can be expected. I would try to get a new water pump, rather than a rebuilt one. Last time I checked they sre still available. It might cost a bit more, but you will save time and money having to replace a poor rebuilt one.

Jose:)

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Thank you all

Gentlemen,

As ususual, the support here is great.

Yes. I blame the cold for everything. Went over to Adams Custom Engines and they explained that when it's cold the car sits. And sits. The seal is already worn and probably hard and doesn't seal as well. He assumed that it leaks when I drive it but I don't notice it as much. That figures. He called his NAPA supplier and I have a new one coming from Sacramento tomorrow. About $62. Cheap... I figure having one rebuilt would cost as much in labor. As soon as it warms up I'll swap it out.

Jose, I think you told me to swap out the water pump when I put the T5 in 2 years ago. :eek: Ok...You were right. I assume also that this is the original or the one the previous owner put i when he restored the car. About time.

You also advised me to put an electrical fuel pump in but I was short on time. I assume that's next...:mad:

Anyway, I'll have several water pumps ready for rebuild or to be used as cores. Might as well put them back in circulation (Get it? Circulation... Me so funny:D) I have one coming off the car, another just sitting and a third disassembled.

I still think I might think about some kind of block heater if I stay up here. Geez do I miss Phoenix!:eek:

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

Which side of the engine is the alternator mounted on? If it is on the dsriver's side, you are in for some fun replacing the stock fuel pump. You will need to remove the alternator, then have to dig down to reach the bolts, which you can't see, by the way. You will need to do it all by braile. If the pump goes bad, it will be far simpler to just remove it, put a small plate oger the hole, then mount your new electrical fuel pump and run your new fuel line. Taking the pump off is not the hardest part. If you try to put the new stock pump back on, you will need to put pressure against the pump, while trying to put the two mounting bolts in. It isn't a fun job, believe me.

There are two things about working on a V6 Alpine that will teach you how to cuss, if you don't know how to already. One is what we;ve been talking about, and the other is trying to put a lower radiator hose on, if you don't make the lower radiator outlet nipple come out the bottom of the radiator, rather than the back. If you put it out the back side as in a normal situation, the nipple and the water inlet for the engine, will be about an inch and a half from each other. FUN!!

Jose :)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nick, I will give you this much: While cold does not cause failures, it is fantastic at revealing weak parts. I think your guy is right, the pump was marginal and would have failed, even in hot weather, sometime in the next few thousand miles.

Bill

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks again everyone

1-Jose. I have achieved a refined level of well defined cussing. No longer do I issue blanket epitaths (hope I spelled that right). My ever faithful assistant, Critter, knows when to disappear under the work bench. When it quiets down she cautiously sticks out her nose as if to say, "Is it over yet?".
Anyone lacking proper vocabulary is welcome to contact me for assistance.

2-Bill. I agree. Can't wait til it warms up.

3-Jim. I'll keep an eye out for one but I thing I'll just fire it up in the garageonce or twice a month next winter.

Thanks for your input guys.