• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

cluth pedal frozen

66Alpine

Donation Time
hi everyone!
have not started the 66 in over 10 months..car was prepped for the storage period.. today i find that the clutch pedal will not move at all..the fluid reservoir is empty due to a perforation in it, which has been repaired with epoxy..so where to from here..my mechanic is out of town and the workshop manual will avail no intel.. please advise.

thank you,

johnny

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Trace the pipe from the reservoir to the clutch salve cylinder and remove it. Once you get a good look at it you will see how it comes out. Get a rebuild kit and rebuild it. It sounds like it is rusted in side so the rebuild may be tough. Or, fill the reservoir with fluid, hope it runs down into the slave and try to work the pedal. Hopefully, the fluid will lubricate the walls and unstick the piston inside. Either way, you'll probably have to rebuild it. Brake fluid obsorbs water and it is probably rusted pretty tight. Sorry. Hope some of the real mechanics here have a better suggestion.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Tracey beat me to it... but anyway...

My guess is you're looking at a rebuild/rehone, or just a complete replacement of the master cylinder.
With no fluid, it's likely some corrosion has set in, locking the piston in the bore. Once you free the piston, the bore is still going to be rough, and will tear up the next seal it sees, unless it is honed smooth. However, that amount of honing may well create an oversize bore, in which case it'll need to be bored out more and sleeved in brass (?) by one of the usual suspects.
Most expedient would be replacement, which won't take long once you get the right part. Availablilty? Haven't checked lately... but there are aftermarket substitutions, too. I ended up with a Wilwood master from Jegs, I think. A little pushrod surgery was required, but after that and some adaptors, all was well.

Good luck!
Ken

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I see some conflicting advice here. Tracy seems to be directing to remove the slave cylinder. I think that's not the right place to start. I am with Ken on removing / rebuilding / honing the Mater cylinder. Ultimately it may need both, but for now it's pretty clear that the Master is likely frozen / rusted. Especially if all the fliud has drained out of the reservoir. I assume that the slave still has fluid in it and is less likely to be frozen/rusted.

Tom

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Remember you have to rebuild both at the same time, there is no short cutting this, if you rebuild one the other will fell.!!!:eek: