• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clutch

ryanneptune

Donation Time
Sorry just not sure how bad is too bad on the clutch pads

How worn is too worn it looks down to it but not sure

I'd almost rather put it back and order the parts and redo the process again

I can't seem to upload the Picts because the file is too large or I would send Picts of the plate

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Ok

That does not makes sense but I'll trust the British

So the finger on the pressure plate are uneven should I address that too?

And replacement clutch? Rebuild not sure where to go for that SS did not really have a suggestion

What clutch are you running? You should not see the fingers, they should be hidden by the throw-out thrust plate (steel disk that the throw-out bearing runs against during clutching).

Got a photo?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ryan, e-mail your photos to me and I will reduce them in file size and send them back so you can post. Be sure the files you send me are under 10 MB in each e-mail, use multiple e-mails if needed. Click on my name and chose "send an e-mail ..."

Tom

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Not to highjack the thread but, speaking of the throw-out thrust plate, is that something that can be replaced? My spare clutch cover has cracks in the thrust plate. The disc surface is pretty nice, but have concerns about the cracks.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Not to highjack the thread but, speaking of the throw-out thrust plate, is that something that can be replaced? My spare clutch cover has cracks in the thrust plate. The disc surface is pretty nice, but have concerns about the cracks.

The parts are removable, good luck finding a source though...

It would probably make more sense finding a new cover than to find a usable thrust plate.

ryanneptune

Donation Time
Anyone know the torque specs on the sunbeam alpine clutch pressure plate??

Also do I need to grease the throw out carbon bearing and its counter part

Last edited:

ryanneptune

Donation Time
Also wondering about the retaining clips on the throw out bearing

I could not find them in the pile of parts that came out of the tranny

Do they exist or is it positive pressure holding them?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
From the PDF I posted:

"Positioned the clutch disc and clutch pressure plate into place on the flywheel. Used a plastic clutch alignment tool purchased from Sunbeam Specialties to center the clutch disc properly behind the pressure plate. Tightened the clutch pressure plate bolts to 17 lb-ft (they are 5/16" fine thread bolts with dry threads). Tightened bolts in an equal manner, 1 quarter turn at a time, via a star / diagonal process, to avoid warping the pressure plate."

I derived the torque based on common guides for torque given fastener size, material, thread pitch, and dry vs lubricated threads.

Do not grease the throw out bearing or where it contacts the pressure plate.

The spring clips are inserted into the throw out bearing with no additional fastener to hold them in place.

Mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 38

ryanneptune

Donation Time
thank you

so it appears that I did not get the throw out bearing retainers in

I found these two pieces in a parts I labeled but did not know what they went to and did not know how they would physically retain the bearing on the fork

none the less are these the spring clips?

Attachments

• IMG_1390.JPG
    IMG_1390.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 38

ryanneptune

Donation Time
also now that its back together with potentially not having the spring clips on the throw out bearing to hold it to the clutch, well now the clutch pedal vibrates a bit when engaging (not always but most of the time and usually when the car is at speeds) it does not seem to do it at all when starting in first or reverse.

Also having a strange thing with 3rd gear whereas it won't go into 3rd gear with out a ton of forcing and then pops out promptly just feels like there is an adjustment in the shifting that needs to be made but not sure how or where

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Those are the clips in your photo. The vibration sounds like your throw out bearing might not be centered.

Mike

ryanneptune

Donation Time
Thank you so much

I'm tearing back into it this morning to put those back on

Does anyone know if there is an adjustment in the shifter that I'm missing to get the gears specifically 3rd gear to go in again

It's like it's just a slim distance from seating properly

The gear work fine but it's just out of reach and I had to push the lever pretty hard forward to get 3rd to go in and it pops out pretty easy like there is force keeping it from going in

All the other gears seem fine I don't believe it's a syncro issue but a throw adjustment it feels like

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Thank you so much

I'm tearing back into it this morning to put those back on

Does anyone know if there is an adjustment in the shifter that I'm missing to get the gears specifically 3rd gear to go in again

It's like it's just a slim distance from seating properly

The gear work fine but it's just out of reach and I had to push the lever pretty hard forward to get 3rd to go in and it pops out pretty easy like there is force keeping it from going in

All the other gears seem fine I don't believe it's a syncro issue but a throw adjustment it feels like

No, your transmission is likley worn.

There is a detent when you put it into third that you should "feel" when it goes into third, beyond that there are no adjustments, just precise tolerances in the trans parts.

The consensus on pooping out of third is usually shifter fork wear or a worn bushing on the third gear hub.

Either make the trans pop out of third on overrun.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
For a replacement, you can post to the "Alpine Cars and Parts Wanted" forum section. Indicate your location for shipping / pick up options, you want a series V four speed all synchro transmission, # of splines (probably 10 splines, but some series V have 25 splines), and are looking for a gearbox that is usable without needing a rebuild.

Mike

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Post some photos of your trans, we can ID it.

Determine the location of reverse (this tells us if its an allsync or a non-sync).