• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clutch Problem. Makes whining sound when fully depressed.

djnippa

Donation Time
I've just got my car back from a recent racing/fast-road engine upgrade.
However, I've only driven it 200 miles back from the garage, and another problem has surfaced,
I drove it for a few miles yesterday, and on the way back it started making a whining sound when I depressed the clutch to the floor to stop at a junction.
All the way back it would whine when I changed up or down.

I've spent all morning and afternoon trying to sort it out.
When I depress the pedal to the floor, right at the bottom, I get this revolving whining sound (click the attached link to download video of me pressing the clutch so you can hear the sound).
https://www.mediafire.com/?qoyogcnmocfnaf2
or you can watch it sideways online here:
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/qoyogcnmocfnaf2/IMG_0077.MOV

I've checked, and re-bled the fluid, (thinking perhaps it was losing pressure through trapped air)
Then I began adjusting the clutch to make it tighter with a firmer pedal.
I re-started the car, but it would grind louder.
The firmer I made it, the higher up the the sound would start as I depressed the pedal.
So I slackened it off, until I finally got to point where there was no sound with the pedal slammed on the floor.... but now it wouldn't go into gear!
The clutch was also so weak that there wasn't even any resistance for the top 30% of the pedal.

So I'm at the same place I was when I started.

I'm thinking either it's been misaligned or the plate has been put back the wrong way round, or there is something wrong with the thrust bearing.
The clutch plate, thrust bearing, and cover were all newly fitted, and woRking perfectly prior to taking it to the garage.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Last edited:

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
I cant get to the video, but from your description I would be pulling the transmission to replace the throw out bearing, as Racer says, or at least inspect the clutch fingers.
No easy fix as I see it.