• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clutch not completely releasing - master and slave cylinder sizes?

howehap

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sorry there are 2 different cars mixed in this thread, the one I am working on is a series 5 that has .5" of movement at the clutch slave cylinder. Master is 5/8 diam, slave is 1" diam and it is mounted on the backside of bellhousing, bleeder is up, did all the usually beeder methods. Pluged master and it holds hard foot peddle pressure. I ran out of ideas and tests, and concluded that it must have been something in the clutch disc or other internal parts. So I pulled the tranny and I don't see anything wrong.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
It could be something else I'm missing, (fyi bleeder fitting is up).

According to three different manuals I have all three show the bleeder on the bottom side! I thought that odd! But the PICs are definitely clear to me!

gary1725

Donation Time
lots to read here - I had a similar issue and although I was skeptical as to how much difference this could make I replaced the thrust bearings as I suspected travel in the crank, that worked and I drove the car for a couple of years without issue. did this with the engine in place - messy but doable. since then the engine has been rebuilt with no issues..

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
According to three different manuals I have all three show the bleeder on the bottom side! I thought that odd! But the PICs are definitely clear to me!
Dan, This makes no sense! You MUST have the bleeder on top, because that's where any trapped air will collect. Have you ever seen a bottle of fluid - beer, pop, water, etc, where the air settles to the bottom, other than in outer space?

I have looked at both factory manuals I have, WSM 124 and WSM 145, and in neither one can I find a picture of the bleeder end of the clutch slave. Can you tell me where you found such a pic? Is it in aftermarket book , like a Hanes manual? If so, I suspect it's an error that one person did and it got carried into subsequent books.

Tom

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan, This makes no sense! You MUST have the bleeder on top, because that's where any trapped air will collect.

Tom, I do agree with you, however the PICs I reviewed several times convinced me Rootes has it on the bottom. I will attempt to provide a picture shortly.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here's picture that shows from the WSM the position of the "bleeder" as being on the bottom of the Clutch Slave Cylinder.

I discovered this to be contrary to what I had learned many years ago.
Does it really work for the Rootes Slave Cylinder?

I am doing more research on this ! Don't like what I have found! Stay tuned!

Attachments

• Alpine Clutch Slave Bleeder Position   20201101_081929.jpg
    Alpine Clutch Slave Bleeder Position 20201101_081929.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 32

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here are a few more PIC's that show difference in the bleeder positioning.

I have provided the Shop manual I used for reference with the appropriate picture following the source manual.

Still in agreement with Tom! Just the manuals lead to confusion in some cases.Sunbeam 260 - 289 WORKSHOP Manual      20201101_145836.jpg Sunbeam 260 - 289 WORKSHOP Manual     20201101_145811.jpg Sunbeam WSM Haynes     20201101_145059.jpg Sunbeam WSM Haynes    20201101_144838.jpg Sunbeam Owners Handbook Floyd Clymer        20201101_144253.jpg Sunbeam Owners Handbook Floyd Clymer     20201101_144235.jpg Sunbeam Owners Handbook Floyd Clymer     20201101_144214.jpg

I have a Sunbeam Singer WSM that has two PIC's of the Slave Cylinder on the same page and each showing a different position of the bleeder valve. Can;t get it to upload yet.

Last edited:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan: your photos had me curious, wondering if the 'conventional wisdom' was wrong. That certainly wouldn't be the first time. I just looked at the 1725 WSM and, while the pictures are unclear, the red underlined text confirms what we have all said all along.

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 6.11.05 PM.png

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for that info.... I read and reread pages and pages of different WSManuals and that is the first time I have read that line.....THANKS!!!

Now Tom and I can rest on the bleeder atleast:).

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, Ditto on Dan's comment about this being the first time I have seen that line. And Thanks, also. But also understand that I have more confidence in my understanding of physics than I do in any written manual! But sure is good to see agreement here! :D

Tom