• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

clutch judder - diagnosis

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi all,
My SII has some (clutch) judder on engagement. Its only a problem on initial engagement, not noticeable when on the move but uncomfortable when I first pull away.
Could it simply be caused by oil contamination on the clutch plate? The gearbox input/front seal is leaky so I'll probably be pulling the engine/box anyway to have a look, but I'm wondering what else to look for.
thanks
Dave

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Has the clutch slipped alot? I had a datsun that I burnt up the clutch on, too long a tale to explain. When I replaced the clutch, I didn't resurface the flywheel and after that it shuddered when ever I started rolling out. This was due to hotspots on the flywheel.

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
I think i found the problem. The "release bearing plate" (ie the bit that the release bearing pushes against) is very off-centre. See photo. One of the lock screws (the shiny one) has been catching on the release bearing yoke which wouldn't have helped! All of the springs look OK but I'll need to rebuild or replace the clutch cover (clutch cover is the borg and beck type), and replace the damaged release bearing.

The release bearing fitted is a roller-type, not a carbon-type (its a Series II so would have originally had a carbon one). I'd prefer to stick to a roller-type but need to replace it.

Are early and late release bearings interchangeable or could this be an individual roller conversion?

Attachments

• clutch.jpg
    clutch.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 37

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Early and late are the same, the roller bearing is good I used one for 20 + years , but from what I hear they are getting hard to find . Good luck!:cool:

65beam

Donation Time
clutch

early series had a larger release bearing than cars with the full syncro trans. the one with bearings is for a 1500 midget.

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'm trying to identify my clutch release (throw out) bearing so that I can replace it with the same, or at least something that fits.

Anybody recognise it? Its got "0353" cast onto the back and is a roller bearing. I'm not sure if it was made like that or if its a conversion, eg a roller bearing inserted into a carbon bearing housing.

Its held in place by these "washer-type" retainers, rather than springs. My parts manual suggests that this is the retainer used on Series IV, whereas spring retainers were on Series II.

It doesn't look like an MG bearing to me, but I'm just going on images that I've seen on the web.

Its matched up with what I think is a standard SII clutch (refer to earlier post for photo) and flywheel, but mated to a 1725. I'll be happy with a carbon bearing, but interested in using another roller one if I can.

Attachments

• bearing.jpg
    bearing.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 14
  • retainer.jpg
    retainer.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 12