• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clutch dead

mikefuller2

Donation Time
I have been hearing a grind when I push in on the clutch. It was replace 3 years ago and has only a couple miles on it. Today I started and pushed it down and a lot of smoke came out and then my pedal went to the floor. I pushed it back into the garage and noticed some metal and a lot of dirt on the ground.

I am sure I have to have it looked at however any thoughts on the problem?:eek:

mikefuller2

Donation Time
I have been hearing a grind when I push in on the clutch. It was replace 3 years ago and has only a couple miles on it. Today I started and pushed it down and a lot of smoke came out and then my pedal went to the floor. I pushed it back into the garage and noticed some metal and a lot of dirt on the ground.

I am sure I have to have it looked at however any thoughts on the problem?:eek:

TO bearing is what I was thinking and yes it looks like carbon.

mikefuller2

Donation Time

I am sure I have to have it looked at however any thoughts on the problem?:eek:[/QUOTE

Is their anything else I should look at while i drop the tranny?

RootesRacer

Donation Time

I am sure I have to have it looked at however any thoughts on the problem?:eek:[/QUOTE

Is their anything else I should look at while i drop the tranny?

The clutch cover has a thrust face (plate) that the hydrostatic TO bearing runs on.
If the thrust face is scored, cracked, broken, missing or otherwise, you will need to replace the clutch cover.

The grinding you heard was probably metal on metal. These type of TO bearings are not the type that you push and hold in for long periods of time.
Doing so makes them wear fast. When the carbon wears through, its metal on metal and then they just fall to pieces.

agmason54

Donation Time
l have had those cheap junk throw bearings wear down past the carbon and keep on working.My experince with smoke is from brake fluid pouring on the exhaust from totally worn past the limit throwout bearing letting the slavepiston pop out or just a blown cup in the slave.SS used to sell a real throw out with a real rolletbearing.Mine has lasted for eigjteen years but they no longer available...

RootesRacer

Donation Time
l have had those cheap junk throw bearings wear down past the carbon and keep on working.My experince with smoke is from brake fluid pouring on the exhaust from totally worn past the limit throwout bearing letting the slavepiston pop out or just a blown cup in the slave.SS used to sell a real throw out with a real rolletbearing.Mine has lasted for eigjteen years but they no longer available...

The roller bearing that SS sold was from an MGB. You could buy one from Moss if you knew the specific application or had a buddy with an MG to measure a few.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
According to George Coleman in this thread (http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?p=133040), the roller bearing from a 63-66 MG Midget with a 948cc motor works. Moss doesn't say whether or not the one for it is a roller. And I never bothered calling when I was looking. If anybody does, please let us know.

If the MGB one really does fit, it's part #190-305 and runs $69 from Moss. And according to some folks on eBay, the MGB one does it. There's one on there for $32 shipped.

This DIY solution is intriguing, if a little scary: http://www.mgexp.com/article/diy-roller-throwout-bearing.html

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
It worked for me back when I was using the stock setup for S-V Alpine and it was a roller.:cool: Moss list both type bearings.

mikefuller2

Donation Time
TO Bearing

I did order the TO from moss that you suggested. I will let you know how it works. Thanks for all the good input

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Did you check the fluid level and slave cylinder as suggested to see if maybe it was the piston popping out of a mis-mounted slave? The "dirt" on the floor could be coincidental, and the "smoke" could have come from brake fluid shooting out from around the piston onto the exhaust before you pushed it back into the garage.

If it does involve the TO bearing, the fact that the peddle suddenly went to the floor suggests you might find more than just a worn-out part ie. broken fork, broken/missing TO bearing retaining clip.

Last edited:

mikefuller2

Donation Time
Did you check the fluid level and slave cylinder as suggested to see if maybe it was the piston popping out of a mis-mounted slave? The "dirt" on the floor could be coincidental, and the "smoke" could have come from brake fluid shooting out from around the piston onto the exhaust before you pushed it back into the garage.

If it does involve the TO bearing, the fact that the peddle suddenly went to the floor suggests you might find more than just a worn-out part ie. broken fork, broken/missing TO bearing retaining clip.

The fluid is empty. Could it be the slave cylinder or the piston? I had replaced it however I know they are sometimes cheap replacements from china.

agmason54

Donation Time
mike
If you are lucky you just have a leaky one inch cup in the slave asuming all else is ok.
I never leave home without one.I have replaced them along side of the highway with one hand by touch alone at night.I run a spring on the clevis pin and hook it to the bleeder.I take wet towell and lay it on the exhaust so l dont burn my wrist off.A puff of smoke lets you know whats up.I rwmove the pin and pump the piston out and slip in a new cup.Next l fil the reservoir with brake fluid and let it drip with the bleeder open.At this point when everything is reassembled l force the throwout arm forward and shut the bleeder.This willgive you enough peddle to drive away.
This is what its all about owning a sports car so dump some brake fluid in rhe clutch master and pump the peddle and see what ya get.If you get apuddle on the floor go to NAPA and ask for a one inch cup.They used to be fifty cents and were loose.These says rhey cost two bucks and come in a little box.
Even if the throw out is roached this may help you some other time to get out of BF Egypt

RootesRooter

Donation Time
If the fluid is empty, you need to crawl under and inspect the slave. You may have mounted it to the wrong side of the bellhousing, allowing the piston to pop out. There are several fairly recent threads on this.

mikefuller2

Donation Time
slave

The master slave is in the right position and the piston has popped out however I can not get the lever to move from the piston. do I need to unhook the pin?

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Sounds like the piston has lodged at the top of the bore. You'll probably have to remove the slave from the bellhousing. If it's really mounted in the right position, to the back of the bellhousing, then you probably have the wrong slave.

mikefuller2

Donation Time
slave

It is mounted on the transmission side however I just noticed the bleeder is on the top therefore I think it is upside down. I will have to also check to make sure it is the right one.