• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clocks

Q

Donation Time
repairing clocks

Hi Jon-
Thanks for this post. Are either of the 2 non-working clocks repairable? The new one looks like a gem-I'll bet you get a good price. Will be watching!

JonPiz

Donation Time
Most of these clocks on the market seem to be non functional but are repairable. Its usually the diode or the coil thats blown when someone converts from positive earth to negative earth and they forget to disconnect the clock. I bought both the non functioal ones quite a number of years ago but its a light brown faced clock from a Wolseley 1660 I want to keep and have repaired just cause I like the look of it.

The new clock is positive earth and it ticks away merrily.

Last edited:

JonPiz

Donation Time
I know its not original but who cares. This is the one I like the best

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 90

JonPiz

Donation Time
Sold

Managed to sell all three for an acceptable price.

Couldnt resist buying another though

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 56

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Forget conversions. This guy is really good and he will modernize your clock without changing how anything works.

This thread reminds me that I never posted about my experience with Michael Eck (www.jaguarclock.com). I didn't post this last year because I wanted to make sure the clock worked more than 6 months or so, and then I forgot all about it until I started reading this discussion.

I found Michael about a year and a half ago when I was surfing for info on repairing Smith's clocks. He specializes in Jaguar clocks, but Smiths is Smiths and I exchanged emails with him and a couple of other people who I also found with the same search. What I liked about Michael was the fact that he didn't actual alter the clock by putting in a quartz movement. There is quite a bit of information about what he does on his website. Tom H: this will probably make more sense to you than anyone, and may give you some ideas on how you could do this yourself. Also, here's what he wrote to me in one of our early emails:

I sent him my SV clock and $85 (it looks like he's raised his prices to $100 since then) last spring (March 1999) and got the clock back within a few weeks. It has worked almost flawlessly ever since. I say almost because I have found that if I cut the power to the clock it will sometimes not start right back up unless I jiggle it a bit. I imagine he would have taken care of this niggle if I had let him know about it earlier, but it never seemed worth the effort. I never bothered putting the mounting bracket back on (the clock is a tight fit in the wooden dashboard) and I just rotate it a bit to restart it if needed. Otehr than that, I am very happy to have a working clock and consider it money well spent. I will definitely send my S3 clock to him when I get closer to putting that car back together.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Forget conversions. This guy is really good and he will modernize your clock without changing how anything works.

I went through the site and wasn't too impressed as it wasn't clear on the power source, at least not to me.

I don't want a clock that needs a continual resetting of the time, nor one that doesn't but drains the battery, but I do favor keeping the correct Smith's clock, or at least its face.

A quartz conversion would appear to satisfy both the requirement of constancy and the requirement of no impact on the battery while keeping the factory appearance.

Both of my cars sit unused at times for quite a while, in between times of heavy use.

OTOH this guy does improve clocks so that they work, which in general trumps clocks that are not working.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Heavy use

Allan , were you tbe fella with the iron butt who drove to Tigers Utd in Big Bear Ca. last year ?

Later JAG clocks are 60 mm and have the quartz guts. I had one I sold and it kept great time had a odd shaped nearly impossible to find battery size but was std.1.5 volts.a easy fix. Most look at yhe clock with the odd battery size and think its a pos you can't find a battery for, they also have plastic faces, so they don't sell for much .

Gotta fix mine but dont want to f up a 300 dollar part for rhe purist.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Allan , were you tbe fella with the iron butt who drove to Tigers Utd in Big Bear Ca. last year ?

Later JAG clocks are 60 mm and have the quartz guts. I had one I sold and it kept great time had a odd shaped nearly impossible to find battery size but was std.1.5 volts.a easy fix. Most look at yhe clock with the odd battery size and think its a pos you can't find a battery for, they also have plastic faces, so they don't sell for much .

Gotta fix mine but dont want to f up a 300 dollar part for rhe purist.

Yeah, that was me :)

What a road trip it was, too. The United and Big Bear were outstanding - you guys rock!

Crossing the Mojave solo in a nearly 50 year old Sunbeam was an eye opener, but less isolated than the route south of Bakersfield across California to San Luis Obispo. I took the coastal highway onward to Seattle.

I'll take a look at the Jag clocks - might want to save my correct clock if something else strikes my fancy.

My Smiths might even work - never tried it as the resetting issue if its switched or the battery issue if not would be a problem.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I went through the site and wasn't too impressed as it wasn't clear on the power source, at least not to me.

I don't want a clock that needs a continual resetting of the time, nor one that doesn't but drains the battery, but I do favor keeping the correct Smith's clock, or at least its face.

A quartz conversion would appear to satisfy both the requirement of constancy and the requirement of no impact on the battery while keeping the factory appearance.

Both of my cars sit unused at times for quite a while, in between times of heavy use.

OTOH this guy does improve clocks so that they work, which in general trumps clocks that are not working.

Allen: I was short on time when I wrote this last night, so I coudn't fill in any details at the time. Let me first say that I am only a satisfied customer of Michael's and have no stake or interest in his operation. Now that said, as I understand it, what he does is replace the part of the clock that almost always fails with modern components. That doesn't change the clock's function in any way. You still set it with the original knob and still adjust the speed with the +/- screw. It also still runs on 12 volts, although I believe he says that it is no longer polarity sensitive. The only times I have had to restart it are when I have disconnected the battery. That was what the 'juggle' reference was to. I actually mentioned that to Michael in a subsequent conversation and he said that he had made a change to what he does and that this wouldn't be a problem any more; the clocks now restart automatically. As I recall, he offered to re-do mine, but it wasn't worth sending it back to him. It really is just a minor, occasional issue.

One other thing I will add, because I think it says a lot about this guy. When he and I were first discussing rebuilding my clock I told him that I had a battery cut-off switch on the car, but had wired a 1 amp fuse across the switch to power the radio memory and the clock. Of course, I would routinely do things like forget to throw the switch before starting the car or disconnect the battery when the lights were still on, so I was constantly replacing the 1 amp fuses. About a year after he and I had that discussion, I got a small package from him. In it was a small, solid state relay (Tom H can tell you what it actually was) that would cut out when more than an amp ran though it, but reset almost immediately when the current was shut off. Michael just sent it to me because it had occured to him that it was a better way to go than a physical fuse. He seems to me to be a lot like most of the guys here: just wanting to help fellow enthusiasts keep their cars on the road. I thought that was very cool and am now a loyal customer for life. I will not hesitate to send additional clocks to him as my additional cars get ready to go back on the road.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Jim,

It's always good to hear news of a satisfied customer. These days all too often the news is decidedly different.

I also like the retention of the clock's adjustment features as they add another set of details that appeal to originality fans - which includes myself despite the Airpine's paint scheme.

From your post I understand that you skipped use of the factory wiring under the dash.

My thoughts have usually centered on plugging my clock into the ignition switch which would activate the clock when the ignition was on but deprive the clock of power when the car wasn't running and the ignition was turned off.

I had assumed that that would require the clock to be reset each time.

Alternately the battery or some hot spot was available to power the clock 24 x 7 so as to avoid the need to reset the clock.

By "clock" that would exclude the clock's light as the light would be plugged into the "christmas tree" string of panel lights activated by the panel switch.

I am not too familiar with electronic engineering and am open to suggestions but can visualize running a hot wire to the battery with an inline fuse, and a ground.

But the impact on draining the battery was/is an unknown. As mentioned my cars sit for varying lengths of time, weeks, longer, much longer, and then it's time to drive <s>.

What is the impact of a 24 x 7 clock on a car battery in such a scenario?

Additional steps could be taken if the risk of a dead battery is unacceptably high, but that cycles the conversation back to a quartz conversion as well.

I seldom park a Sunbeam with the intent of staying parked for a month or two, and rarely use a battery cutoff switch.

But if the impact on the battery was negligible and wouldn't necessitate use of a battery charger at times, that would be a huge plus.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have too much to fix

So I will send out my clock when chasing oil leaks.

On my small Honda I have used small "wall wart" cell phone like chargers as a trickle unit.

I also wired and hung my car stereo from the false floor into the spare tire hub recess it has a R/F remote. A dedicated fuse block is mounted on the battery. I also have a battery terminal cut off for long periods of parking. There is also a circut that runs to center console with dedicated plug for trickle charger or cig l
ighter so battery can trickle charge when main power ground off. It is also nice not to have to open trunk to get to battery to attach charger. I also ran jack plug so phone/ipod can power tunes to the hidden receiver.

Allan this makes it very easy to hook up trickle charger, from drivers seat adds fused protection to the two fuse system .

Sorry for straying O/T but when I get clock working more that 2 a day it will get wired to sub acc. block.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
So I will send out my clock when chasing oil leaks.

On my small Honda I have used small "wall wart" cell phone like chargers as a trickle unit.

I also wired and hung my car stereo from the false floor into the spare tire hub recess it has a R/F remote. A dedicated fuse block is mounted on the battery. I also have a battery terminal cut off for long periods of parking. There is also a circut that runs to center console with dedicated plug for trickle charger or cig l
ighter so battery can trickle charge when main power ground off. It is also nice not to have to open trunk to get to battery to attach charger. I also ran jack plug so phone/ipod can power tunes to the hidden receiver.

Allan this makes it very easy to hook up trickle charger, from drivers seat adds fused protection to the two fuse system .

Sorry for straying O/T but when I get clock working more that 2 a day it will get wired to sub acc. block.

Warren, those are some good ideas. I'm sure that options can be improved with ingenuity and know-how.

I found a chrome bezel black faced 60 mm Kienzle clock in my bits that may be a good candidate for a quartz re-do, and save the correct Smiths clock. It needs a good cleanup and the white fingers painted red, and would look pretty decent. I'd post a picture if I figure out how to resize to 15k without shrinking the image to very small.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
What is the impact of a 24 x 7 clock on a car battery in such a scenario?

That is a good question, Allan, but I am afraid I don't know the answer. I drive my car enough in good weather that I don't have to worry about that and generally keep it on a trickle charger during the winter, so I don't worry then, either. Someone here like Tom Hayden might know, or you might want to write Michael. I'm betting he has been asked this before.

Bill Tubbs

Donation Time
I know its not original but who cares. This is the one I like the best
Jon, I saw an older post of yours with a photo of a brown/tan Smith's clock. I also have one of those and plan to put it in my SV once I see if it's working (or even if not). Do you have any idea what car this came out of?