• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clickety clack front wheel

napa 1

Donation Time
Hi all. Have the Harrington on the road. Runs well, tranny is smooth, brakes well..just one oddity. As I drive along there is a clack, clack, clack in the front passenger wheel in time with the speed of the wheel turning. If I apply Even the slightest brake pressure, it silences it. If i pump the brakes, it it clacks as though the caliper is loose, but when i remove the wheel and check, everything is snug bolts are tight and pistons seem to be operating smoothly within caliper. Hmmmmm
Any ideas?
Thanks,
John

chazza

Donation Time
It may be a wheel bearing; applying the brake can alter the load on a dodgy bearing, which changes the noise,

Cheers Charlie

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
If one of the discs is warped, it may be causing a pad to be thrown against the caliper body each time that the wheel turns.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
If one of the discs is warped, it may be causing a pad to be thrown against the caliper body each time that the wheel turns.

I think Tony has a good guess. I had the exact issue. Sounded just as described and the sound went away when the brakes are applied, even very lightly. I could only really hear it when travelling less than 20-30 mph.

Not sure if my rotor is warped or the hub is on a little wonky, either way the result is the same. With the wheel off I can see the runout on the disk when rotated and watch it move the pads into contact with the caliper.

I would check the wheel bearing too though.

65beam

Donation Time
wheel

series 1 & 2 used different calipers and pads than later cars. do you have the damping spring and the anti squeal shims or just the pads? the damping spring holds the pads in the proper position.