• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clean Zenith carb filters or just move on?

woodybap

Silver Level Sponsor
My mongrel has Zenith WIP-36 carbs on a 1725 engine. The gauze filters are filthy. Looking for suggestions on the best way to clean the filters. Also wondering whether swapping out the carbs for something better suited to the 1725 is a worthwhile endeavor. There is no issue about keeping anything stock. That ship sailed way before I got involved.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Usually the Zenith Filters are being cleaned in fuel with a light spray of thin oil afterwards. If you want to go the original dual Stromberg's for your 1725 think twice. They are not very good from my experience. Another option would be the Weber downdraught path with the UK manifold. If you ask me just stick with the Zeniths and give the filters a good clean...

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Actually I cut up some spray booth air filter medium and fitted to a pair of pancake filter housings on my WIP (s)

Working fine for 6years now.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I think some people cut up the ramflo/uni filter/ edelbrock style oiled foam filters and insert into the filters to replace the steelwool style filter.

The foam if oiled works well...but be careful if the carb coughs back as they can catch fire.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Most motorcycle shops even Cycle Gear sell a piece of foam in various shapes and a flat sheet. I've made plenty of filters for motorcycles and for even a Tiger with some contact cement and a pair of scissors.
Obviously you need to make a screen for the Tiger size one but not so with the Alpine like Chore boy looking pot scrubber :)

There's also a similar looking gauze like material that is in Home Depot. It is a big sock that was used for keeping lint from your washing machine from clogging up your drain. it kind of looks like the same material and you may need several of them and spread them out but they'll look pretty original although the mesh is somewhat finer.