• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clayton Dewandre -Another messy one...

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Didn't know that. The lower ones were made by the best german F1 photographer who wanted to release a book featuring british cars. The book came out but unfortunately he dropped my Alpine and just featured a Tiger and an early Alpine. Anyway at least he left me with these nice shots. Have a few more;)

Limey

Donation Time
The ones which you linked to, i.e. 4-40 x 1/2 UNC. Hope it's correct...
Oooops that was just a screen grab to show you the web site address. I hope its not too late to change your order:oops:
"I'll check the original screws tonight and let you know

Sorry!

Limey

Donation Time
Didn't know that. The lower ones were made by the best german F1 photographer who wanted to release a book featuring british cars. The book came out but unfortunately he dropped my Alpine and just featured a Tiger and an early Alpine. Anyway at least he left me with these nice shots. Have a few more;)

Very nice colour. There was a lovely Gunmetal grey available for the late SVs Similar to the dash colour on the earlier series. I still may use it on the next and last resto

Oliver

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm trying to match the Series II original dash color for the #41 Sebring Alpine. I don't think I got it right as the steering column plate is not same as the best color I could get from the original (probably faded and did not appear metallic) color on the dash. Often restorers use a silver metallic from a spray can, which is not exactly right from what I can tell. Any help would be appreciated.

upload_2019-12-8_10-33-49.png

Last edited:

Limey

Donation Time
Hi,

I took my 1960sRootes paint coded swatches to my local family owned paint mixing shop (Grandad started it, run my his Grandson now) he matched it exactly using the old dog eared continuation books from the 60's and 70's. Apologies to Jumpinjan whos CD test I have as a comparison. It is close but wrong. It is too bright and the flakes are too large. No biggy but if you want to get it period perfect then it matters. Also I have two column plates and they do not match the dash either. They are flatter if that makes sense.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Didn't quite get the dashboard colour right on my S1 but it looks good (mat silver rather than dull grey). Here is some interior shot from the F1 photographer session:

IMG_20191208_193714.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191208_193838.jpg
    IMG_20191208_193838.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 6

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just added photo of current status after restoring. So was there some metallic in the paint? Right, I know Jan put a lot of effort into matching Alpine colors. His CDs worked great for my Harrington Le Mans (Moonstone code 19) and the wire wheels. However, the Seacrest Green CD I got was a bit too dark when matching with two individual panels from my two code 30 Series II Alpines.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bernd, that is what Steven Alcala did for his #43 Sebring Alpine and it does look great. I'm inclined (already picked up the exact numbered paint Alcala shared with me) to follow Alcala's lead and do mine the same as his. It isn't quite original so that bothers my perfectionist tendency when it comes to historical correctness. What I have already done isn't accurate either sooo... The paint my dash adventure continues.

Limey

Donation Time
Do it right or live with mediocrity. I live my life compomising with Staff, suppliers and clients. That's business; its a compromise but the one place I can 'call it' is in my garage. Even that is not perfect but at least I know the failures are all mine, not somebody elses.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
In all my Sunbeaming years nobody came really close to the original early series dashboard colour. But we are all to learn if somebody has a good idea :oops:

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just received this photo from a Series II dash. Sure looks like the color on my column plate and plug for the heat adjustment slot (#41 did not have heat adjustment for the 12 hour Sebring Race).
00B0B_e6AVWh7pFsT_600x450.jpg

65beam

Donation Time
In all my Sunbeaming years nobody came really close to the original early series dashboard colour. But we are all to learn if somebody has a good idea :oops:
I'm sure there are more than one owner that has an original dash on the shelf or in their car so why would it be so difficult to come up with the correct color?

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Not sure but I believe this one is orig.? .... If needed I could take a better photo of it when the weather clears here as I have her covered very well for the Cali mild winters.

.... David

Attachments

• 62 SII.JPG
    62 SII.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 23

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
To 65beam: Because they either have faded over the last 60 years or were repainted. Just look at DOC's picture...

David's picture looks excellent. All we'ld need now is a colour match. A lot of early Series owners would praise and celebrate him :rolleyes:

65beam

Donation Time
To 65beam: Because they either have faded over the last 60 years or were repainted. Just look at DOC's picture...

How do you find that the color you may come up with is actually correct if you don't have an original, unfaded or never been painted unit or better yet an NOS early dash to work with? How would interior judges even know if the color is correct? If the color is close it's very difficult to differentiate that a color shade is off just a little. This club does not judge cars if there is a club event . I do judge cars for TE/AE and since there is not a set of written guidelines for Alpines as far as specific shades of paint or interior materials where do you draw the line? I'm not wanting to argue about this but where does common sense come into play? FYI, I recently sold a LeMans dash. The original silver/grey color was on the dash under the formica veneer other than where the instrument bevels were sanded down flat. Is there any dash paint info in the records at the Archive?

Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Regardless of potential judgement criteria all I'm trying is to get as close as we can get for the colour with the aid of some "knowing" people in here. Don't expect it, but if somebody has an early NOS dashboard lying around - even better. The archive may have a drawing with a colour description so will check it next time I'll be there.

P.S. I also have an original RHD HLM dashboard here where the Formica has split as they all do, but that's totally another story...

Last edited: