• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ciggy lighter

John Boggis

Donation Time
Hi John,

I have just bought a correct early series NOS lighter correct Series 1 parts number, NOT Smiths but Casco

I don't want to bother Ian over such a minor point but I would appreciate a Smiths photo from any body. Happy Christmas, old fruit.

Olly

Olly, I can't find that picture of the Smiths lighter. But does it matter you definately have the correct lighter for your Alpine. The box part number confirms it is the correct one.

Well found Olly...another part off the list !:D Have a good Xmas mate.

65beam

Donation Time
lighter

limey,
i carry an extinguisher in every car including my new cars. i have several of them in the house and shop. i believe in them.
it sounds like you have never suffered the dreaded lucas smoke. i had it show up with a new harness one time. better safe than sorry! buy one better safe than sorry. my rootes extinguisher is dead .just for show.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have owned in excess of 35 English cars in my lifetime and restored a great many more, and I have yet to have a single one smoke a wiring harness.

I have, however, seen other folks smoke them, and invariably the cause was either because (1) they were in an accident and it got shorted (Austin Healey Sprites & MGB's with rear-end shunts are a classic in that regard - the license plate light does it every time), (2) the dear owner modified the harness (badly), or (3) they used American fuses.

Keep the harness stock, stay out of accidents, and most importantly use the proper Lucas fuses and all will be fine.

And regardless of the car, old or new, always carry an extinguisher - if only to help the poor sod who used the wrong fuses.