• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ciggy lighter

65beam

Donation Time
Lighter

As I Said Before ; Same Part Number Listed In The Parts Books For Series 1 Thru Series 5. Sounds Like Rootes Was Not Concerned Whether The Chrome Section Was The Same Height Or If It Was The Same Diameter. Use It Limey And The First Person To Come Near Your Car With Any Measuring Device Make Sure They Have First Hand Knowledge How It Works.

Limey

Donation Time
As I Said Before ; Same Part Number Listed In The Parts Books For Series 1 Thru Series 5. Sounds Like Rootes Was Not Concerned Whether The Chrome Section Was The Same Height Or If It Was The Same Diameter. Use It Limey And The First Person To Come Near Your Car With Any Measuring Device Make Sure They Have First Hand Knowledge How It Works.

I'll measure 'em upside their head, so help me.

Olly

alpine_64

Donation Time
Are they the same visually?

I've been trying to suggest to you that the casco ones with the raised chrome collar and non illuminated base are correct for the S3-V.. and as far as i have seen not available as repro.

I said before the SI/II had a smiths lighter.. Ian used to have pics of them... they are different (knob and base) You should email Ian Spencer

Im quite sure they were comon to probably more caras than the casco ones... but i cant be sure.

John Boggis

Donation Time
Are they the same visually?

Olly...They are not the same in fact quite different. I have a picture of the Smiths lighter somewhere i can't find it at the moment, but I'll keep looking.

In the parts book it states where parts for the cigar lighter are discontinued this is the change over to the Casco. Also there was never an illuminated Rootes lighter on any Alpine series 1 to V.

As far as Alpines having all kind of lighters fitted,this is true in as much as dealers fitted many kinds of after market accessories made by many manufactures but Rootes special accessories were quite constant and accurate. Just like your Casco lighter is exactly the same as mine.

I know you want to be precise with your restoration and getting these little details correct will make your project even more satisfying. :)

Limey

Donation Time
I've been trying to suggest to you that the casco ones with the raised chrome collar and non illuminated base are correct for the S3-V.. and as far as i have seen not available as repro.

I said before the SI/II had a smiths lighter.. Ian used to have pics of them... they are different (knob and base) You should email Ian Spencer

Im quite sure they were comon to probably more caras than the casco ones... but i cant be sure.

Thanks 64, I'll start hunting down a Smiths item, Your advice is much appreciated.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Have you spoken to a professional about that box fetish? I get visions of your bedroom full of them. What's next - bubble wrap? :) Note to readers; not all limeys have this compulsion.

Limey

Donation Time
Have you spoken to a professional about that box fetish? I get visions of your bedroom full of them. [/I]

Not far wrong re the bedroom. The spare bedroom has a desk , computer and all my Alpine reference books, parts catalogues etc and the walls are lined on all sides with 6foot archive racking. Every bit removed from the resto project is in 30 archive boxes the contents of which are listed on my computer in an index spreadsheet.:eek: I can find any part in 20 seconds. I got so fed up with piles of sagging boxes and never finding the bit I wanted I bit the bullet and got it sorted. I recomend it to anybody doing a strip down.

Have you ever smelled the inside of a NOS box? Better than napalm....

Apocolypse Now 'Alpine' Redux:-

Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: A NOS box, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.....
Kilgore: I love the smell of NOS boxes in the morning. [sniffing, pondering]
Kilgore: Victory. Someday this restoration's gotta end...:D

Limey

Donation Time
Olly...They are not the same in fact quite different. I have a picture of the Smiths lighter somewhere i can't find it at the moment, but I'll keep looking.

I have just got on ebay a NOS boxed pre suppresion cig lighter (pics to come) part number 5220054 as per parts book. Search over. The pictured Rootes item at the head of this topic will be on ebay soon unless of course a private offer comes through that is the same I paid. Not looking to profit but pass it on in the community.

Pics to come of the newly got bit for the record if any one is ineterested??:eek:

Olly

65beam

Donation Time
lighter

limey,
just thinking about the empty rootes boxes. i did buy a couple of them ( empty rootes boxes ) on e bay several months ago. my wife says that smell is called musty. if you like that smell i could consider selling you the original rootes wrappers that are on the nos carpet pieces that i have. never been opened yet but they are still airing out . she had me store them in the garage where we park the cars,not in the shop or in the house. the u.k. must smell much better since i bought them a few years ago. but that's the original rootes packaging smell.

Limey

Donation Time
I was wondering if you had biught that.. i was watching it and thought.. no i dont need it.. glad its going to a worthy car.. though still not sure its correct for a SII...

did you get this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330384765802&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:AU:1123

Yep that's the one. I hope it is for a Series 2. The part number on the box is as per the parts manual I have and was replaced later bu another part number. Does this not indicate that it is an early series item and therefore correct for an SII?

Olly

Limey

Donation Time
limey,
just thinking about the empty rootes boxes. i did buy a couple of them ( empty rootes boxes ) on e bay several months ago. my wife says that smell is called musty. if you like that smell i could consider selling you the original rootes wrappers that are on the nos carpet pieces that i have. never been opened yet but they are still airing out . she had me store them in the garage where we park the cars,not in the shop or in the house. the u.k. must smell much better since i bought them a few years ago. but that's the original rootes packaging smell.

Thanks 65beam but an empty box is just not the same. It must have a 'precious' in it.:eek:

Olly

Limey

Donation Time

I'm quite sure they were common to probably more cars than the casco ones... but i cant be sure.

Oh Dear.

Here are pics of a new purchase. According to my Series 1 parts book the part number 5220054 (see pic) is the earliest. HOWEVER.. the element body is Casco not Smiths as some suggest it should be. Unless the Smiths bit has been swopped for a later Casco in this box then can I must assume I have the correct cigar lighter for a series 11.

5220054 and Casco or not?? All feed back very welcome.

View attachment 1937

View attachment 1938

Limey

Donation Time

In the parts book it states where parts for the cigar lighter are discontinued this is the change over to the Casco. Also there was never an illuminated Rootes lighter on any Alpine series 1 to V.

As far as Alpines having all kind of lighters fitted,this is true in as much as dealers fitted many kinds of after market accessories made by many manufactures but Rootes special accessories were quite constant and accurate. Just like your Casco lighter is exactly the same as mine.

I know you want to be precise with your restoration and getting these little details correct will make your project even more satisfying. :)

Hi John,

I have just bought a correct early series NOS lighter correct Series 1 parts number, NOT Smiths but Casco

I don't want to bother Ian over such a minor point but I would appreciate a Smiths photo from any body. Happy Christmas, old fruit.

Olly

Limey

Donation Time
As I Said Before ; Same Part Number Listed In The Parts Books For Series 1 Thru Series 5. .

Not So. Orig part number was 520054 superceeded by 1224171. Of course they may or may not have been visually the same (others can advise)

Olly

65beam

Donation Time
lighter

limey,
i know that. sounds like i knew it before you if you just found this out. but the fact remains that you are going to hook it up with lucas electricals. just one more overload to produce lucas electrical smoke. how many sunbeams have you restored to this factory correct level over the years?

Limey

Donation Time
limey,
i know that. sounds like i knew it before you if you just found this out. but the fact remains that you are going to hook it up with lucas electricals. just one more overload to produce lucas electrical smoke. how many sunbeams have you restored to this factory correct level over the years?

Restored my first Alpine 20 years ago.

You think that the Alpines will go up in smoke just because a lighter is fitted??...:rolleyes: Better buy yourself a fire extinguisher for Christmas..:D

Any hoo, no point either of us getting aerated about a cigar lighter. Have a good Xmas 65beam.

Cheers

Olly