• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ciggy lighter

John Boggis

Donation Time
If you're not lucky enough to find an original Rootes lighter like Limeys then Holden Vintage and classic in England sell a great repro copy.

Limey

Donation Time
hi 65beam,

Gawd bless ebay!

Also I placed a one page advert in the UK Alpine club magazine. That netted a pair of series II floor mats, 2 pairs of early series sunvisors, a Rootes gear stick lock, NoS boxed reverse lamps and tail light assemblies, a pair of rare rear seat squabs and 2 pairs of cant rails and two pairs of good unrusted early seats.

I don't know who J Green is and in truth I wish him luck if he is spending his hard earned collecting what he wants to. Everytime I bid and win I have denied another enthusiast from having what he wants, if only by a dollar or a Pound. Do I feel sad? No. Do I get a buzz in beating him? No. is it anybody's business what I do with the bits? No.

All I can say is I haven't lost a bid against JG by any accident or lack of the green.

We are all collectors after a fashion, be it one car or a collection of boxed NOS.
Hell, women collect shoes and handbags; men collect cars and parts.

All the parts I have collected will be fitted to the Resto. Anything left over at the end I will give to my fellow restorers or put back on ebay till all are sold.

As long as you're not collecting heads in your freezer or ladies under garments off washing lines, its all good.;)

Good luck

Oliver

Limey

Donation Time
Do you tell children that Santa and the Easter bunny are not real or take their ice cream? ;) Limey seems so pleased that he found a Rootes cigar ligther and your trying to burst his bubble. The difference may have been factory V dealer option. I say let Limey be happy :D .

Regards, Robin.

I am happy. My bubble remains intact. Observe the 'Rootes' on the box and the lack of any Chrysler motifs?

I own 2 unmolested Series IIs with cig lighters and thats the right puppy. Santa Claus does not exist. My Series II ciggy lighter in a box does:D Ergo sum.

(My friend ate some 'shrooms once and he swore that the bunny he saw spoke like Orson Wells but that's another story for another day.

Olly

jmthehermit

Donation Time
John, the lighter you have pictured, is it identical to the one that came in your car? It looks the same like the lighters I have pictured in my post. Jeff

Limey

Donation Time
What a find ! Could you do some close up´s of the lighter itself ? Would specifically interested in the rear wire connection and a front view...

Here ya go... the side view shows the Casco ident as described by others. Beware fakes;)
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

John Boggis

Donation Time
Jeff...the Holden lighters are identical externally to look at... the difference is the metal female part, this is not the same as the originals. Also the metal on the male part is not the same as the original Casco ones

alpine_64

Donation Time
If you're not lucky enough to find an original Rootes lighter like Limeys then Holden Vintage and classic in England sell a great repro copy.

The holden one lacks the raised chrome "collar" of the correct rootes one.. the correct ones are not hard to get.. as mentioned before.. they were comon amoungst 60's jags.

65beam

Donation Time
lighter

limey,
i agree concerning e bay. it does seem that there aren't as many nos parts as there was a few years ago. i have a rather large stock of nos parts with a lot of it coming from buying stock that came out of dealers many years ago. the rest is e bay,swap meets, etc. the wife has the idea that if we need a part ,it's much easier to go to the shop and pull it off the shelf than listen to me fuss trying to find what we need. she has the idea that if we have a car to use it on,buy it. i remember the day i spun number three rod bearing in her alpine. i was in georgia following 65 sunbeam at the time. my wife was not upset since she knew we had everything we needed. we even have nos body panels. i found a lot of them in kansas back in the early 80's. the real ironic thing about that was that most of them had tags showing that they were in the stock of a columbus dealer about 70 miles away.i also have a large stock of everything for the fast backs. i enjoy collecting parts, my wife enjoys collecting sunbeams. she bought another one a few months ago. everything that we have ,we have a car to use it on so i guess it will stay in the shop so a 26 year old can keep his cars on the road in years to come.

john green is an older guy that still has the series 1 that he bought new. at least he did the last time he called me. i guess he has a different version of the illness that we and some friends have. collecting sunbeam parts and cars.

65beam

Donation Time
lighter

michael,
what chrome collar are you talking about??? both of my harringtons have the original lighters that have a light that causes the housing to glow at the outside dash mounting point. anyone else have this type? the wife just reminded me of this.

alpine_64

Donation Time
michael,
what chrome collar are you talking about??? both of my harringtons have the original lighters that have a light that causes the housing to glow at the outside dash mounting point. anyone else have this type? the wife just reminded me of this.

im reffering to the raised chrome part on the lighter.. the repro ones have the knob sinking into the element.. the originals have it raising up to the knob..

please look at the following:

the picture shows the 2 types of lighter.. the one on the right has the raised chrome collar.. as per sunbeam alpine.tiger S3 onwards.. the one on the left is similar and the same as the one being reproduced.. but not the same as the ones used in S3-V alpines/tigers.

also a picture of a factory boxed one:

As i have said.. and acknowledge dealers would install whatever was handy or made them more money.. amco. tex abarth whatever you want.. that does not make it factory correct.. it makes it period.. its like chrome wires.. i dont care how good people say they look.. dont care if you bought the car like that when new.. it was something the dealer did not the factory.

i could have put twin DCOE's on my car if i was alive in 1962 right from brabhams catalogue of specially designed sunbeam parts.. or from hartwell the guy who did factory race prep and was a dealer.. but it doesnt make it a factory option.

Limey.. not having a go at you.. and congrats on the purchase.. i know you are going for a factory correct car.. email ian specner and ask him for the article he did on the lighters a few years back. Also i think i had emailed you about the NOS factory SII softop i have.. sorry had not sent you pics yet.

65beam

Donation Time
lighter

michael,
the one on the right with the raised collar is what is on the two new TEX lighters that i bought from moss. still have one in the box.

alpine_64

Donation Time
michael,
the one on the right with the raised collar is what is on the two new TEX lighters that i bought from moss. still have one in the box.

really? i looked into thema botu 2.5 years ago and they were the same as the ones on the left.. so i passed and continued my hunt. It is good if they have reproed the correct sunbeam ones, makes sense too given their cross refrence as a Jag part.

I ended up getting one of mine NOS from a jag dealer a few years back :D

65beam

Donation Time
lighter

michael,
the problem with buying from suppliers today is that the part may be right this week, but wrong next week. i bought these last year so that i would have a new unit to put in the series 5 when i put it together before suni. i am buying a lot of parts to replace what i will be using as the restoration of my series 4 progresses and i notice differences. i just sent several door strikers and dovetails to be replated rather than use the new ones i have that may or may not fit right. not the fault of the sunbeam suppliers,but the manufacturers are more concerned with the bottom dollar on their end. it's all a big guessing game. i think what limey is trying to do is great , and original nos parts do fit better most of the time. that's one reason i buy every nos clip that i can find. plus i bag and tag every part i take off a car that i strip to use for future reference. a whole lot easier when dealing with the guy that does the bodies and hands me a painted rolling chassis for me to finish.

alpine_64

Donation Time
actually went to moss site and found this:

142-270_1.jpg

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=57052

which is different again..

the ones i had seen as mentioned prevoiously were the similar ones made by "TEX"

L15066.jpg

L15166.jpg

but these are not the sunbeam ones.. where are yuo finding the raised collar ones?

alpine_64

Donation Time
John,

Thats the ones i have said are correct, and i'd say your car is spot on.. i also note that you have the non illuminated type.. which i also believe is correct..

I have still yet to find repros of those ones.. thogh apparently they are available now.. hopefully someone can link me to them.. i could do with a spare.

John Boggis

Donation Time
The Casco-Tex lighters were a the Rootes Accessory for the Series III though V
Series I and II had the Smiths lighter that was a slightly larger diameter.

Limey

Donation Time
JB. old chap,

Are you positting that my item is unfit for installation into my Series II?:mad:

What diameter was the Smiths one?

Olly

John Boggis

Donation Time
Hi Olly...

The Casco ones were .828" dia. The Smiths ones were .890" dia.

I'll give you fiver for your Casco...nice new one would look good in my car :D