• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Checking the oil in my OD Transmission

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
I know where the hole in the transmission tunnel, I can see the plug, I can see how to take the plug out. But how do I check the oil level? Do I stick my finger down the hole till I feel the oil or lack of oil?:confused:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bob,

The Series V Owners Handbook specifies "Super Shell Motor Oil" (which was non-detergent) for the transmission, but does not specify the viscosity.

The Series V Owners Handbook also states:

The overdrive unit is filled from the gearbox and the oil level is correct when the gearbox oil is maintained at the correct level.

Additions must on no account be made to the lubricants specified for the transmission or overdrive.

A combined filler / level plug is fitted in the right-hand side of the tranmission and is accessible (through a cover sealing a hole) in the raised section of the front floor.

The correct oil level is to the bottom of the plug orifice. If replenishment is necessary the correct grade of Shell engine oil only should be used.

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Thank you Barry, You always have the right answer. Why didn't I look in the owners manual? DAH! :eek:
Barry are you going to make it to the show in Columbia, SC next weekend? Hope to see you there, maybe.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The oil specified in my Series II owners manual is Shell X100. It was available as single or multi viscosity, but all was detergent. I was told by a Shell rep in 1960 that Shell had not marketed a non detergent oil since the mid 50's.

Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The oil specified in my Series II owners manual is Shell X100. It was available as single or multi viscosity, but all was detergent. I was told by a Shell rep in 1960 that Shell had not marketed a non detergent oil since the mid 50's.

Bill

In the interest of correctness, I edited my previous post to read "The Series V Owners Handbook specifies "Super Shell Motor Oil.....".

The references I found for "Super Shell Motor Oil" suggested that it was non-detergent, but .... That was 40+ years ago and my CRS is acting up again.

65beam

Donation Time
oil

nick finally figured out that gear oils, etc are sold by the pound. that's WEIGHT !!! by the way nick ,gear oils are sold in 35 pound pails, not 5 gallons. when we bulk fill we weigh the pails.