• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Chattering Tranny

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
Gentlemen:

Our SIV has a synchronized transmission. At 60 MPH or when pulling heavy torque loads (like when going up a steep hill in 3rd gear) we a getting a chattering sound from the top of the transmission. Today I had the car on the highway and at 55 MPH it was okay, but the push to 60 introduced this noise.

I'm aware that the top of the shifter is held in place by a metal cover that is screwed into the tranny to hold the shifter in place. I'll check to see if this is loose, but if it isn't can anyone give me some insight into what is going on?

Thanks,
Mike Pennell

Wombat

Donation Time
Mike

Does the noise go away if you hold the shifter in place?

There is a spring loaded damping pad that is supposed to stop vibration in the shift rod. This may be worn. To get to this, you will need to remove the top cover.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
You could also have a worn pilot bushing that is throwing the balance off on the clutch plate and it vibrates all the way up to the shifter.

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
The chattering does continue even when I hold down the shifter.

Jan: Do you have an illustration of the pilot bushing? If mine is worn are these parts available?

Mike Pennell

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I couldn't find any illustration in the WSM. Its a brass/bronze bushing in the end of the crankshaft. It supports the input shaft. Rick has them for $16.80 (p/n PB5). If I could drive the car I could tell you what the noise might be. It could be a bad drive shaft too. Something is getting out-of-balance
Jan

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Loose or missing screws holding the plate are a good bet, which makes quite a racket when loose. Have you checked the oil level? A dry box will also chatter.

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm due back from Chicago on Friday. I'll check the retaining plate to see if anything is loose.

I hope that's the problem. It'll be a much simpler fix than anything else.

MXP

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
Mike, were you able to resolve the issue? I have vibration on acceleration but it stops when I hold the gearstick down. I wonder if I can get at that spring without dropping the transmission by just taking off the gearstick surround cover plate?

Ed